Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Summit on the Future of Philately  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I like the idea of combining with coin shows, at least for smaller, local/regional shows. Financial considerations aside, there's also a lot of crossover between stamp and coin collectors ...

I like this idea, too, but I'm gonna take a SWAG (Silly Wild-Assed Guess) that the dealers (who bear the brunt of the expenses thru their table rent) will see more cup half empty than cup half full, eg, that we are doubling the number of competitors (for the cross-over hobbyists' dollars), and that 'sharing' sales would hurt more than lowering table rents would help ... table rent being only one of the expenses that dealers must bear to attend any show.

Where's floortrader, now that I need him?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
834 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Raleigh NC, I had attended the Raleigh Coin and Stamp Show at the State Fair Grounds. The stamp only show was held on same property in a much smaller building. With coins, the attendance was obviously higher overall with the stamp dealers occupying about 1/4 of the total tables (one side). I recall most of the dealers attended both. I suspect these would vary by area. You put in guns or NASCAR and you will get people paying admission to get into the door. How many want stamps? No idea. However, they often bring friends and family so they more exposure from lookers.

I stopped going because the quality was not that great, prices no deal, and could easily get more choices from Internet sellers. I am not trying to find that rare cover, etc.so not much need to browse.

Al
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has the APS done any research/survey on the people/audiences they want to reach? That might be a useful first step to give them a good understanding of what different audiences (collectors, new collectors, non-collectors)might find appealing and engaging.

A survey was approved at the June Board meeting. We have posted a survey and the results of the focus groups we held in Portland in August. The full survey will be going out to field soon and we will present the findings to the APS Board in March in Reno.

Quote:
Unfortunate to hear from angore's post that they are not jumping all over technology as a way of reaching more people.

I commented on another chat board about this as well. We secured a $25,000 challenge donation from World Stamp Show to be matched for upgrades to the website and initiating more outreach to collectors, not necessarily APS members through electronic means. This is a significant first step to better utilizing technology to promote and enjoy the hobby.

Scott
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2275 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   06:58 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikey

"Not everyone knows exactly what they want"?

I prefer to see us as Renaissance men and women with an all-encompassing range of interests, uncircumscribed by the mere miniaturism of the Machin or Washington/Franklin fancier. Philatelic Leonardos, in short.

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
834 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will note again most agreed the hobby is doing pretty good. It is organized philately that is more challenged.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, we Leonardos need to stay away from other-than-stamp shows, lest we go down the rabbit hole of yet another hobby.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information. Great to hear the APS did a survey. Hopefully they were able to get some good responses from people both inside and outside of the organization.

Quote:
I commented on another chat board about this as well. We secured a $25,000 challenge donation from World Stamp Show to be matched for upgrades to the website and initiating more outreach to collectors, not necessarily APS members through electronic means. This is a significant first step to better utilizing technology to promote and enjoy the hobby.

This is great news. I look forward to seeing how this evolves. This could really have a big impact for the APS and getting new people involved.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not going to lie, every stamp show I have been to has been like stepping into a place of worship in terms of how quiet and serious it is. I am a youngish guy (34) and I went to my first show about 2 years ago and it was such a weird experience. People just sitting at tables sifting through boxes and people speaking in hushed tones. Wasn't the most welcoming environment. I went to the APS show in Grand Rapids last year and while that was a much better overall experience, it was still pretty intimidating when you get around the dealer tables. Just a weird environment, but I don't have the answers in how to make it better.

What is up with everyone rocking the sport jackets and ties as well?
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People just sitting at tables sifting through boxes and people speaking in hushed tones. Wasn't the most welcoming environment. I went to the APS show in Grand Rapids last year and while that was a much better overall experience, it was still pretty intimidating when you get around the dealer tables. Just a weird environment, but I don't have the answers in how to make it better.

My first show was in Grand Rapids last year and have been to quite a few since then. Admittedly, I am already known, so I get approached by members and dealers at every show, but there are some very helpful dealers and members out there. Once you meet them, you are friends for life.

If you get a chance to come to another APS show - we will be in Reno in March and Richmond in August - please make sure you stop by the APS booth and visit with our staff or the volunteers at the Stamp Buddy booth. If I am there, I'd be glad to introduce you to some very helpful collectors.

If nothing else, you are welcome to connect with me any time by phone: 814-933-3814 or email: scott@stamps.org and we're happy to help. Please keep enjoying the shows and collecting!

Scott
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaffeinatedSquirrel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same question. What IS with those suits and ties? And the "hushed tones" thing sounds frankly terrifying. I wouldn't even know how to begin to mingle.
Edited by CaffeinatedSquirrel - 11/01/2016 3:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People wear what they are comfortable in. You should too. There have been shows where I have had a court appearance in the morning and gone to the show in the afternoon, so I'm sure I looked out of place.

Hushed tones? How about sitting down at a dealer table and asking, "Do you have any special focus in your stock?" That always breaks the ice for me. Just be yourself, you'll be fine.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The suit and tie thing, to me, sounds like a generational gap. People used to dress better than they do now. Myself, being a late-boomer, view that with mixed emotions - I respect people who dress well, and sometimes do myself, while at the same time, I don't necessarily want to dress up always. I usually wear at least a sport-jacket to shows, so as to not look totally unkempt.

With regard to hushed speaking tones, that, to me, is just being polite, and not bothering other people. I think that manners of dress and decorum have largely vanished from our society. Regrettably, maybe there is something to be learned from here?
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in my 30s as well and I do hope to attend a show at some point, but for now it feels like a bit of an intimidating prospect.
Learn More...
3254 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   5:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shows are perceived by some experienced folks as a social event; they renew old friendships, meet up with dealers they have previously done business with, and share a meal or two with like-minded people. But it can feel a bit like a ‘good ol boys club' if you are a new hobbyist (or woman?).

I think some of this perception is driven by things that are a bit unique to stamp shows. Stamps are not like guns, boats or antiques when it comes to displaying them for sale. Many stamp show bourses are simply an 8 foot table, a dealer standing there, and inventory stacked behind the table. Stock books, albums, and cartons can contain very expensive material much of which can be damaged if handled incorrectly; this tends to make dealers keep an eye on who is browsing what. These things may result in newer hobbyists feeling uncomfortable in interfacing with dealers at shows.

I became VP of my local stamp club back in the 1970s; I was the youngest person in the room by 40 years. I still recall what it felt like to try to 'break into' that group...
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1471 Posts
Posted 11/01/2016   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll make sure I wear an Iron Maiden T-shirt when I finally get to a show :)
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  Image Optimizer Help
  George v. Any interest
  Mexico - 5 Classic Stamps
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington
  colour on franklin 1cent
  Help deciphering a WW2 cover please
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Spain Scott 338a showing many ink lines and other printing flaws.
  Vario and Digital, so simple
  Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?

calf of man on cover
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Zeps-king of the skies
  Unseen RED LINE EFO's on Queen Elisabeth - 1 cent(1953-65 Canada)
  Minkus Supreme Global Album Back in Print
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  My Australian Oddities
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  colour on franklin 1cent
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05