Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Canadian "Kiosk" Stamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
2168 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have to buy a complete strip of 5 different ones or can you just buy any one single?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
968 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, you can't buy less than the five different singles.
Valued Member
Canada
23 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdn-booklets to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sequence of the stamps on the coil roll are always the same. What can vary is when the coil foll is inserted into the paper feeder of the printer if a different stamp is at the beginning then that will be the first stamp on the roll. Since technically these all print in strips of 5 you could say that finding the different stamps at the top (or end) of the strip is a collectible item - just depends on what you like. However if you look at the original 18 digit code strips since the first strip of the value printed has the 11 at the lower left, it becomes collectible to try to get the strips with the 11 on it. I have only seen 2 positions with the 11, most of them are with the Lismer image, while I have also see the 11 on the Thompson stamp. If anyone has the 11 on the other 3 stamps I would like to know. So on either the stamps with 18 digit or 14 digit or from different machines in other cities, the start stamps can vary I believe the normal start stamp would be Carr.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   12:59 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The more I study these "labels", the more interesting (and complicated) they become. I just wish they would also be available in other towns like Ottawa and Montreal so I don't have to travel so far....Any way, 2017 could be another interesting year for Canadian Philatelist, and the information sharing on the SCForum is always amazing. Have all a happy and healthy 2017.
Pillar Of The Community
2168 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would these be philatelically classified as a se-tenant strip of 5 (different) stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   3:19 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say Jogil, since it is possible to "rearrange each stamp and make different strips, if one is carefull peeling the labels and rearranging the order....
Pillar Of The Community
607 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is classified as a booklet - like, say, the "Baby Wildlife" issues which have no cover.
I think the Canada Post offering has a header, though.

The numbers is: 10534110310001 and MacDonald is on top.
Edited by sak - 01/01/2017 3:45 pm
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do these kiosks use thermal printing? If so, does anyone know how long the printing will last? My experience is that thermally printed 'image life' is pretty short (i.e. <25 years).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure studebaker, a closer look seems to be inkjet, but I am no printer expert. May be WERT or others on the forum can provide their own view on this....
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Stamp News article says thermal printing for denomination and codes http://canadianstampnews.com/collec...iosk-stamps/
as does the article by Mirko Zatka in the most recent Corgi Times.
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   6:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am familiar with two types of thermal printing; direct thermal labels (DT) and thermal transfer; most kiosks use DT. DT uses chemically treated material which blackens when the print-head applies heat. This avoids using ink, toner, or ribbons. This technology is used in kiosk largely because of the low support/maintenance costs (fewer moving parts and less chance that things can go wrong).
On the downside, DT is not recommended for long-term use (lasting decades) but is considered long enough for many applications. You can usually tell if the label/stamp is DT by rubbing the surface with a hard object (like a coin), if this leaves black a mark it is DT material.

If this happens on these stamps, you can bet that within a long period of time (7 -10 years) the printing will eventually disappear.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
23 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdn-booklets to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you would classify the Post Office strip as a booklet and it is a special printing. The stamps dispensed from the machines are really coils - there is a roll of something like 5000 in a coil roll inside the kiosk, which is essentially like the previous Kiosk stamps - they were actually coils. It will be interesting to actually see the post office strip as it had to be made specifically to sell to collectors. The machine number used for the post office strip is the Vancouver office but I doubt the stamps were printed there, more likely in another kiosk (or 2) setup in Ottawa or Antigonish.
Pillar Of The Community
607 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to read, either here or in, say, the latest Corgi News, an explanation for the shortened value variety of the Kiosk stamps.
I kinda thought it was a product of start-up problems, but here it is again on the newer 14-digit ones:

A line seems to get omitted. Do all the lower lines shift up by one?
It's not the last position only - this one is on the second row.
There are no examples of it skipping a line, only omitting one.

This one has the fourth row shifted up to the perfs, but not the others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   8:37 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you can bet that within a long period of time (7 -10 years) the printing will eventually disappear

I have some US Kisok stamps CVP44 ect) from 2002 or 2003 and they havew not disappeared (yet), however I don't have a clue if they are DT or TT. I do have one slightly older that is very faded, but my understanding is it was weak to start with (not enough heat).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5463 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   9:53 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, you mean on the second stamp where the horizontal bottom line of the "2" is clearly higher than on the others?

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Very rare set of the 1949-50 Coat of Arms
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Scott 498 - different colours..??
  Minnesota Stamp Expo
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Morocco Page not Usually seen in Big Blue
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98

Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Something strange on the back of this pair of revenue stamps
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Which stamp do you wish having that you don't have?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Mounting Stamps
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  Stamp Pricing Books and Websites
  Automatic Supplements
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05