Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Canadian "Kiosk" Stamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well... it seems that a line has come out of the thermal printing - the lower part of the "2" and the lower part of the "5". (and part of the "0".)
That's the same as the previous "small values", but now in a different place - the 2nd row - and the new printing.
I have one (first printing) where the line comes out of the top part of the "8", and another where it comes out of the bottom part of the "8".
All to say that I haven't got a handle on why this is happening - hence my previous question.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agondocz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Used on cover from the Richmond Hill Post Office:

The cover is franked with the domestic rate Albert Henry Robinson and was postmarked on January 6, 2017.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5463 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   9:37 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Andrew. I hope to go into Vancouver again in the next week or so and I think I will make some covers like that.

I think I will load up on "permanent stamps" and see if I can find the variety Sak shows.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   9:56 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, BC, can you clarify what you mean by the 2nd line, and the shifts? perhaps a couple arrows to show will help...
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the stamp on the second row (Tom Thomson)
the thermally printed value has a print line missing (red arrow)

This phenomenon has been extensively reported here and offered as a variety on eBay on the first 18-digit printings.
Notably on the $1.20 bottom and $1.80 bottom stamps, the latter in two places.

My latest missive concerns the fact that the same phenomenon has appeared on the 14-digit printing, in a different place.
Obviously no one has corrected the problem - whatever it is.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   10:31 am  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sax. I will have to check my sypply now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   11:22 am  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have started to check my supply obtained during my Dec 24 visit at the Richmond Hill facility and here are a few interesting varieties on the "permanent" one.
First, in a series of 50 (all ending with numbers 2823, the 1st one that came out shows the small permanent on the top stamp (MacDonald one). 2nd strip appears normal as the other 8 strips
I then ordered a strip of 5 and on this one, the small permanent lettering appears on the 2nd stamp (Thompson)
Since this has also been reported on the Vancouver ones (18 digits and the Richmond Hill (14 digits), it tells me that there will likely be many many varieties to collect in these issues.
I also have a set of the Vancouver with the ski slopes that I can show later (11 printed on the LL bottom of each strip).
As for used copies, I can offer a few Richmond Hill permanent ones on an envelope, (issued from Ottawa, in exchange for same from the Edmonton or Vancouver ones. This will become handy overtime, as I think early use of those would be relatively scarce.

Edited by Gilles le timbre - 01/14/2017 11:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Incidentally, here's a poor scan of the two different "8's" I was writing about:

In the left example, the top part of the "8" is short.
In the right example, the bottom part is short.

These are from the 18-digit printing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1043 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   11:50 am  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak,
My Vancouver 18 digit also shows the short 2 on the 1.20 value, in addition to the ski slope (11) on the bottom (Thompson) stamp.
I guess it is time to start a little bit of inventorying what's out there. Certainly a good topic for the Corgi Times ESG study group.
Learn More...
3248 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   12:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If these are printed using DT (Direct Transfer) thermal printing, you would be able to 'scratch' a black mark on them (i.e. using your fingernail or the edge of a coin). Does anyone have a stamp they are willing to try this on?

If they are DT, then there will be a LOT of field variances. This is because the print quality depends upon the paper coatings and the amount of heat applied in the printer head at time of printing. For example, if the kiosk is cold and/or the printer has not printed any stamps for a while, the print would be lighter. The hotter the print head gets the darker it will print. Printers with a lot of wear and tear will not heat as much as a newer one.

And the stamp paper coating is critical, if the coating is not uniform, the resulting printed section can show lots of variances (i.e. missing words/characters/numbers).
Don

Edit: The print height probably relates to the speed the stamp is traveling when printed. This could be impacted by the paper path wear, size of paper stock roll, etc.

I am unsure how these might be classified, variances/variance types might be a very large number once a more complete census is understood.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
530 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sak,

Did anyone notice that the numbers 1.80 are noticeably larger on the top two stamps than on the bottom two stamps in your last post above. This in itself is a variety for sure.
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah... that's what I was trying to show. In both examples, the bottom stamp values are missing a line.
Valued Member
Canada
23 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdn-booklets to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I look at the image, it unfortunately is not high enough resolution to determine if it is truly a Missing line, or just squished together. If a line were missing I would expect to see a more jagged character, but the character itself looks OK, just squished. If squished it may be the paper flow past the print head that causes it - eg if the flow slowed for a millsecond or something like that the whole row would be squished but the characters formed OK. Can you look at the stamps and count the lines of print on them and say that one stamps shows 13 lines and another 14 lines (the lines #'s used are not true counts).
Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay - I got a bit better scan.
---------- left --- normal --- right stamps

The digits on the right stamp are slightly smaller
Valued Member
Canada
23 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdn-booklets to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at your new image, I would still say these all have the same number of print lines, they are just squished together. The centre "normal" stamp has rougher spacing and you can sort of see the printlines - the outter edges are not smooth, but a bit jagged. The left and right are smoother characters, but I suspect the same number of print lines. So I still do Not believe there are any missing lines (you are more likely to get a white space) and these varieties are caused by the feeding of the paper through the printer getting slowed at certain times (maybe relates to the heat of the print head?). I think even the cases that can be seen where the 4th stamp printing is high may relate more to the printer slowing for some reason at that area of the strip - is that maybe due to the cutter coming into play after the first strip prints and before the second one has finished printing - this is just a big coil roll of stamps and the cutter may cause that push back for these spacing problems to occur - just a thought.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Cogwheels
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  ship stamps
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Lock Seals?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05