Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,535 / Views: 120,473Next Topic
Page: of 103
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OK, I admit I'm having a tough time with this one. Why the high purchase price?

I was teasing Steve, (and I had a similar tough time)
The answer is the color, it is Analine Brown, collectors of the overprinted
N.W. / PACIFIC / ISLANDS will be aufait with this colour, it is common,
but not so on the unoverprinted, cataloguing at $1,000 used $3,000 hinged for used back in 2007.

To be frank, I am still ignorant of just what is "analine brown"

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 07/03/2020 11:50 pm
Valued Member
Australia
134 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aniline is an organic compound which is used in preparation of soluble dyes. For industrial uses it is produced by mixing benzine with some acids and then further chemical processing of that product. An oversimplification I know but the technical processes are quite complicated. When used in stamp printing if used on wrong paper it causes bleeding through to the back of the stamp.

It has also been used in fuels for small rockets! And is one of the precursors in making polyurethane.

Toxic so not a nice thing to use regularly.

Others with more knowledge of aniline stamps may care to add or correct.

I have never knowingly owned an aniline stamp.

Regards
Frank
Edited by langtounlad - 07/03/2020 11:53 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for responding Frank.

In my experience / understanding, I have owned countless thousands of aniline stamps, I have always believed they were the "water soluble" purple / magenta issues of most countries.
Not based on fact, just my rudimentary understanding.

I just went to "Askphil" and their notes read:
Aniline ink: a water-soluble ink which fluoresces under ultraviolet light; such as used on Roosevelt Small Die Proofs.

I had never come across an aniline brown, I was presuming is was then, water soluble brown, which appeared strange to me.

Most striking anilines, as I understand it, are the KGVl Malay states
Kelantan.

You may have owned one of these Frank.
(Richard Juzwin)
Edited by rod222 - 07/04/2020 01:35 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3534 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aniline ...
Quote:
When used in stamp printing if used on wrong paper it causes bleeding through to the back of the stamp.

So that ugly stamp on the previous page is really valued so highly because if you turn it over and examine the other side, then you will see the brown soaking through? I have a few Red Aniline stamps, and they are quite interesting, but nothing close to the price that was paid for that one. Some things are a little difficult to justify, in my opinion.

Oh well, interesting discussion.
Page: of 103 Previous TopicReplies: 1,535 / Views: 120,473Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 35.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05