Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,630 / Views: 134,324Next Topic
Page: of 109
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 02/11/2021   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
August 2020
From the series "Painted Water Towers"
Winton, Victoria, Australia.
Scott # 5127
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   04:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New South Wales
Exhibition Poster Stamp
1911 Congress and Exhibition.
Sprig of Eucalypt, and Fern (Very "In" hobby at the time)

South Australia Poster Stamp
1936 Centenary Celebration.
Recognise the Wattle, and Flannel Flower, only.
Edited by rod222 - 02/15/2021 04:18 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 02/17/2021   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cinderellas:
Federated Seaman's Union of Australasia.

Gunditjamara Country
Budj Bim Cultural Landscape.

Edited by rod222 - 02/17/2021 11:29 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Box of Goodies I bought today at Abacus Auctions $46 + ship and commission.
(PS The Brusden White Colonial States & Kangaroos Edition went for $80 if memory serves)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New South Wales
Bibliography
Brown / Campbell (1963)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Auctions
Phoenix v Abacus
Prior to today, Phoenix was my preferred auctioneer,
no longer.
I won my only bid, however I did not see any bidding, it just went for my top bid.
Whilst the lot was open, I saw no option to increase my bid, if mine was overtaken.

The Lots were open at lot 7, suddenly we are up to Lot 32
Auctions are anxiety central best of times but today I felt very uncomfortable.
I think Abacus will be my preferred henceforth.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Abacus Auctions....shonky

I went to the site after auction, to buy unsold lots,
Selected one lot, clicked on "buy it now"
Site accepted, then showed lot sold.

A week or so later I get this.

Dear Rodney,
Thank you for your interest in Lot 670 in Online Auction 4.
It had already been purchased after the conclusion of the Auction.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Kind regards,
Drew Atkin

That's the last time they get my business.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australian Library.

Found Inside Jacket.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1470 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The book titled "A Study of the d Kangaroo 1938 - 1936. I have the original manuscript to that including all the d kangaroo stamps, all approximately 4,000 of them. I'll be compiling a second edition to that book.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Rob, look forward to that Monograph.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3779 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

Quote:
Auctions
Phoenix v Abacus
Prior to today, Phoenix was my preferred auctioneer,
no longer.
I won my only bid, however I did not see any bidding, it just went for my top bid.
Whilst the lot was open, I saw no option to increase my bid, if mine was overtaken.

The Lots were open at lot 7, suddenly we are up to Lot 32
Auctions are anxiety central best of times but today I felt very uncomfortable.
I think Abacus will be my preferred henceforth.

It is a not nice situation to find yourself in being left out of an auction especially when you front up in person.

With an older WA stamp auction had me printed as the winner of the lot at a great price. Went to collect my lot to find out that it was given to a floor bidder & their win was not recorded. Left a very bad taste in my mouth and never went back.

Watching all the threads with the varieties in the pre-decimal. From all the people that post in the Australia section and have been looking at auctions as I always have & always will. It looks to me that there are a lot of great buys out there in pre-decimal. Looking at these SCF threads has broadened my taste in pre-decimal and also increased my stamp knowledge that is for sure.

Having our house paid off and have the ability to store stamps properly would make me a player again in pre-dec. Our very high humidity here is a paper killer. Mostly our humidity doesn't go under 70%. A CARSON 4in1 Portable Air Conditioner Reverse Cycle Heater Dehumidifier 12,000BTU at a cost of around $450 it looks like a winner in my work room that has an iron roof that is very hot in summer & very cold in winter. Room size is 6m x 4m x 2.8m. Another plus is the fact that I need to protect around 8kg of postally used sheet stamps on paper from the $1 issues + other.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31936 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
I did not attend the Auction.
I was an online bidder.
The item was advertised as "for sale" unsold at auction.
I clicked to buy at full price, was apparently accepted, the item then showed "sold"

What irked me was the "sorry thanks for your interest'
Interest? as far as I was concerned, I had an offer and acceptance
No worries plenty more stamps in the sea.

I had a similar thing with a dealer on my first purchase in Australia, He has been on this forum.
I paid $50 for some cinderellas, he took the order on his mobile.
When not arriving, he gave me 4 excuses, then said "must have been lost in the post"

One never really forgets when being screwed.
The next dealer I went to in Canada, has been with me 12 years and I would have spent $1,000's.

Understansd your humidity, living in Thailand in the 90's I gave up collecting, it was just too difficult.

My loungeroom is 7 metres x 6 metres x 3 metre ceilings
I use a Panasonic Inverter Reverse cycle for 10 years
Wool blanket under the tin roof.

My humidity stays around 43% and 62% all year round
Electricity bill $3 a day.

Edited by rod222 - 03/20/2021 9:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3779 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the aircon info Rod. Very helpful especially the running cost incurred.

When we win the lot that has been printed in the auction results, our bid tells us if have won or not. Agree that it sticks in the mind being screwed over by an auction house. Still plenty of auctions around. Looks like Status International would be my 1st choice to buy at. Very much like many of their lots offered in pre-dec.

Think was Rob that posted the cracked plate flaws on the Australia 1937/59 1/2d orange kangaroo imprint blocks are very interesting and others lots offered with the same type of flaws is of interest.

Would like to start collecting Aus side face KGV 1d reds die11's & Imprint pairs to blocks in general Australia. Some of the harder to get pre-dec examples would be on that list + others. Auctions do have that element of highs & lows from bidding. Nice when it is highs-:) Not very nice to win a lot & then be told that you did not win. It is hard to take.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1470 Posts
Posted 03/20/2021   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

It will take a little while as there are many varieties, some of the varieties are scarce and some run in progressive order.

But I will eventually complete it as well as revising the original into colour, as the original pages were Xeroxed showing very poor quality black and white images, the revision and the second book will be in colour and detailed images photographed by a microscope.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1470 Posts
Posted 03/21/2021   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KGV Collector

Quote:
Think was Rob that posted the cracked plate flaws on the Australia 1937/59 1/2d orange kangaroo imprint blocks are very interesting and others lots offered with the same type of flaws is of interest.

Yes, it was I that posted those cracked plates.

Rob
Page: of 109 Previous TopicReplies: 1,630 / Views: 134,324Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05