Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,833 / Views: 153,325Next Topic
Page: of 123
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod222, is there any significant about this 1980 Cinderella? I bought this from a Sydney stamp dealer in the 1990s. Thanks

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1756 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to do with Australia. Herlev is in Denmark. These are Christmas seals put out by the Herlev Lions Club in 1980. Sheets from other years can be found online.

Here is the 2021 sheet of seals:

https://www-lionsherlev-dk.translat..._x_tr_pto=sc

Edited by 22crows - 06/14/2022 10:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ninhao,
further to 22 crows,
http://goscf.com/t/19280 br /

The vignette is Paper Lace
Edited by rod222 - 06/14/2022 10:38 pm
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both 22crows and rod222. Have a good day/evening.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   12:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Non Philatelic.

This is my personal SIGIL

Sigil, from the Latin sigillum, meaning a "little sign", means a sign or image supposedly having magical power.

Generate your own Sigil
https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/d...nerator.html

...and in Hieroglyphics

https://www.penn.museum/cgi/hieroglyphsreal.php
Edited by rod222 - 07/03/2022 12:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3919 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:07 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

Thought would share.

Have been mailing out parcel with the last auspost stamp releases on them. It was for mailing plants. Thought to myself these beautiful stamps are getting trashed, thrown into the bin. Will send the next 30 x parcels with a return envelope for stamps. Out of 30 envelops sent I received 1 return. Looks like the only reason stamps are not popular is because no uses them for mailing anymore. The interest in stamp collecting still seems to be out there. 30 x is a very small sample but interesting.

Take it easy. John Great Thread
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting John, 3% return
Better than bank Interest

Perhaps out of the remaining 29, 3 people would keep the stamps for themselves.

Seems bad economics, spending a $1.10 + cover, to get back what?
X amount of used stamps.

Like your concern though.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
News of the Australasian Congress 1911
The Inevitable Souvenir Stamp.
An opinion from the Sydney Morning Herald, September 25th 1911

The souvenir stamp seems to he becoming inseparable from the philatelic " congress," but I doubt if any of the recent issues of congress stamps have amounted to editions of 60,000.
Already one of the labels has reached this office and 1 must confess it does not appear to me to present the philatelic ideal of a stamp for postage purposes.

A lady whose "decollete " seems precariously insecure forms the central feature of the design, but she is so tall she can scarcely keep within the picture. Her arms are extended and in one hand she holds a laurel branch and in the other a fern.

The inscription reads " Philatelic Souvenir Stamp "
at top, " The First Australasian Congress and Exhibition " at left and right, " Sydney 1911 " in a tablet at the bottom. The lady may be an Australasian idealisation of the goddess Philatelia, with an NZ star in the place of an aureole, but, without the latter she might equally well be an advertisement for a scheme of physical culture The label is printed in blue and is perforated.

Not my stamp.
http://goscf.com/t/70236
Edited by rod222 - 07/11/2022 02:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1756 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sydney Stamp Expo 2011 website had this info:

"2011 marks the centenary of the First National Philatelic Exhibition and Congress in Australia and is therefore an important milestone in the history of organised philately in this country.

At this event special commemorative stamps were printed in sheets of twenty (four by five) in four colours being red, green, navy blue and pale blue and all were perforated gauge 11.25. These probably represent the first Australian philatelic souvenirs produced and very few sheets appear to have survived. "

Shown here on page 5:

https://stamps.org/Portals/0/Refere...ouvenirs.pdf
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautifully prpared monograph... Thank you.
I have many of those cinderellas.

First time I have come across "The Goddess Philatelia"

"Well, I declare! You stamp collectors beat my understanding!"
"Well, I suppose to one who is not interested in philately, stamp
collecting seems like a queer business."
"It isn't a business—it's a disease."
—"The Prevailing Malady," 1895

Women Collectors
For a hobby that men appeared to dominate, at least publicly, it is
intriguing that women played a formative role in shaping the mythology
of early philately. One philatelic writer claimed that the first gatherings
of stamp collectors in Paris in the 1860s were hosted and attended by
women who exchanged their duplicate stamps on Sunday afternoons
in the Tuileries Gardens. When the postage system was still new in Britain, women collected stamps featuring the profile of reigning monarch Queen Victoria. In the 1880s, women's magazines such as Godey's Lady's Book and Ladies' Home Journal proposed that stamp collecting was an appropriate activity for women. Because it was an indoor amusement, "restful" and "quieting after the mind has been busily occupied
with duties," it was viewed as a proper way for middle-class women
to spend their leisure time. Women were well suited to the pastime
because it involved creativity—when arranging a collection—that capitalized on their "natural artistic tastes."

The Goddess Philatelia

Philatelists represented their pursuit with an allegorical figure,
"Philatelia," the goddess of philately, who engaged in rigorous study
of stamps. Philatelia symbolized their pursuit and may have acted as a
guide for those pursuing philatelic knowledge. The APA adopted the
image of Philatelia for its seal in 1887 and it is still used today. In the
seal, Philatelia holds a stamp album in her left hand while she places a
stamp into it with her right. As a figurative deity, she sits on a globe that
makes her appear larger than the physical world that she sits upon

Stamping American Memory
Collectors, Citizens, and the Post
Author: SHEILA A. BRENNAN

Edited by rod222 - 07/11/2022 8:33 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Inflation? This is inflation.

$25 million dollars, to install a flag pole on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/15/2022   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ornithology.
MALLEE FOWL
Come meet these amazing birds, (can fly 1 hour after hatching)

zqE8IN2_pXI
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Non Philatelic (Sort of)

I have perhaps spent $500 in the past 3 years on stamps
(Not including my est $700 on Billigs)

From the greenback par, to the current 68c? to the dollar,
I closed up shop, and spent the time on my storage of purchases.

I saw this current financial position coming (or rather felt it)
Blind Freddie could see house prices had to falter at some point.

So here's Australian Retirement estimates, that may have you Boggling

Australia Retirement
Author : The Barefoot Investor.

And until now there's only been one number that everybody quotes: the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA) standard: $545,000 for a single and $640,000 for a couple to have a comfortable retirement.

The new estimates just in from a new identity.

I am happily retired on about One third of that.
Valued Member
Australia
7 Posts
Posted 07/20/2022   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Black Swan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

You say on the "Philatelia" label above: "The lady may be an Australasian idealisation of the goddess Philatelia, with an NZ star in the place of an aureole."

Given the 1911 date, I suspect the "star" is the seven pointed Federation Star that exists even today on the Australian flag.

Mind you, under the preamble to the Australian Constitution, section 6 provided the opportunity for New Zealand to be admitted to the Commonwealth of Australia. If the Kiwis had taken up the offer the star would have needed 8 points.
Page: of 123 Previous TopicReplies: 1,833 / Views: 153,325Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05