Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 91
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2757 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

I assume the "R" registration postmarks on the 4d stamps just reflects normal postal use.

I'm surprised by the note of a sideways watermark on these stamps although some values in the series had sideways watermarks.

My old 1996 edition of Barefoot doesn't distinguish the different V over crown watermarks listed in SG (W 33, W 82, W 85).

I find these watermarks very difficult to distinguish!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Nigel,
An ingredient of the folly of Worldwide collecting, occurs with speed over accuracy.
I should have read my catalogue.

R = Registration
Barefoot 2000

Your Watermarks, perhaps this can be of assistance.
Crown V
Barefoot 2000

Comprehensive Colour Catalogue of Australian Stamps 1999
(Their Wmk numbers)

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2757 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod,

It's useful to have all five watermarks in the same picture.

These are SG W 19, 33, 83, 85 & 104.

I'm afraid I gave up setting out my Victoria stamps when I reached these postmarks.

I hope to try again at some point but I'm not convinced I'll much more progress.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm afraid I gave up setting out my Victoria stamps when I reached these postmarks.

You are not alone, Nigel.
I often mount stamps in Catalogue order, attach Wmk advice, but go nowhere
near the fluid, there is just not enough time as a WW collector.

If however a full page eventuates, then I'll dive in and do the hard work.

Valued Member
Australia
207 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Comprehensive Colour Catalogue of Australian Stamps 1999
(Their Wmk numbers)

The image shown seems to be an attempt to show the watermarks of Victoria (SG types 19, 33, 82, 85 and 104) - I don't know why the states are listed underneath, implying that they each represent a different state.

Most are satisfactory as images of the watermarks of Victoria except the second one (top right), which does not accurately resemble watermark 33. Type II in the Barefoot catalogue image shown above is a better representation of watermark type 33.

Edited by fairdinkumstamps - 01/26/2019 5:22 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 01/28/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

One for the kids.................. Tommy Tricker on Sc#992A 1986

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096282/
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first "Postage Due" impost in 15 years.
DVD "The Sopranos" season 3 155.19 grammes.
With a small sideline tragedy by the Marker Monkey.

I thought Postage due was supposedly 3 times the deficit.
Surcharge?

Australia Post Label 8836457 July 2012

Meanwhile Ms Holgate, Australia Post CEO, is on $1.4 million dollars a year + equal amount in bonuses.

Edited by rod222 - 01/31/2019 10:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Be Alert" slogan identified by Jill.

Turns out to be the Postie Bike

The new "E Bike" (Electric)

A necessity for the trend towards parcels, In our home town, the lass does the Postie Bike first, then the car.
I cannot see this e bike working, (poor footpaths) dirt roads etc,
but must be better than getting in and out of a car.

Note : cover against "swooping magpies" (as a cyclist, I can attest to this menace)

Edited by rod222 - 02/09/2019 5:29 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Naval Thematic for any interested, just relisted eBay, reserve $50

HMAS Shropshire (Floreat Ambo "May they both flourish")
Heavy Cruiser.

http://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-shropshire

According to Pettit, before Surigao Strait the Americans had nicknamed the elderly British-built cruiser with her high profile and three tall funnels the 'Helpless'. Now, instead, HMAS Shropshire was affectionately dubbed 'The Old War Horse'.

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/hist...ld-war-horse

Edited by rod222 - 02/10/2019 5:53 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

2019 Post Box Charges
Annual $130 A rise of a mere $3 this year (Just over 2%) despite heavier workload with Parcels.

2018 Lighthouses.
Removal : Bestine : From Bubble Pack, removal Bubble, place Bestine behind the stamp only (Paper is non porous)

6 Punch security die cuts (re-use prevention)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/12/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Sold eBay $9 10 bids. (Not mine)
Delandre Cinderella
Australian Infantry South Africa. 1899 - 1902

Don't recognise the medal / Arms ? Black Swan?

Edited by rod222 - 02/14/2019 05:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3166 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd post these here. Some die proofs from a recent purchase of the book, "A Selection of the Engraved Stamps of the Commonwealth of Australia." A very nice coffee table book.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26648 Posts
Posted 02/18/2019   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...yes, a couple of very nice friends there. (The stamps)

Edited by rod222 - 02/18/2019 10:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3613 Posts
Posted 02/20/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod this page is already a long one but I will take the chance that this listing will stay on page 83.

The postie bike person cancel example that is listed on page 83 is my new nemesis.

It has destroyed a least half of my very small amount of very recent $1 keepers.

Hopefully it will just be a passing slogan cancel. It has been a long time since Auspost has so effectively destroyed collectable stamps. Some are so bad the design of the stamp is totally covered.

It has been a big day!
Page: of 91 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05