Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 99
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia.
Call to replace "Indigenous" with "First Nations"......... I like it!

Instead of using the "Indigenous" tag, he called the talent-spotting rugby sevens program "First Nations", to create a more inclusive feel to what is an important program for the sport.

"The 'First Nations' term not only recognises [Aboriginal] people as the sovereign people of our land but it also recognises the unique language groups and sovereign nations that exist," Hodges said.

"The term 'Indigenous' is really linked with the White Australia policy.

"I guess here in Australia it is a new term because we haven't necessarily acknowledged the first people."

Hodges says the idea to call the program "First Nations" came to him after seeing how some other countries celebrate their traditional owners, using a similar term.

"Canada is probably one of the leaders around the world pushing for the rights of native people and acknowledging the differences that exist," he said.

"The word 'Aboriginal' or 'Indigenous' just brackets everyone but we know we have differences.

"There are over 250 nations and language groups across the country.

"We have got saltwater people, we have got desert people, we have got freshwater people, for example."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12...ous/11787716
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222,

That divisive term, 'traditional owners' should be banned, causes false sense of ownership & attachment. You, me & all of us born here are level pegging in 2019. Any Aboriginal/Native still alive pre Cpt Cook would be a 'traditional owner' NOT their descendants
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4702 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   01:33 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The past is never dead. It's not even past", as the traditional owners might tell you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New South Wales 1888
Sc#88
Abacus Auctions September 2018

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US~ Australia "Paid All" markings.

New South Wales "PAID ALL" Markings on Letters Addressed to the United States,1874-1891.

Before the establishment of the Universal Postal Union, the Government of the United States negotiated numerous Postal Conventions with foreign governments around the world. A Postal Convention between the United States and New Zealand was negotiated in 1870 and came into operation on December 1, 1870.

Similar Postal Conventions came into effect with New South Wales on 1 February 1874; with Queensland on 1 January 1876; with Victoria on 1 July, 1878; and with Tasmania on 1 July 1886. All of the Conventions became redundant when New Zealand and the Australian Colonies joined the U.P.U. on October 1. 1891. (The United States had no Postal Conventions with South Australia and Western Australia)

The Postal Conventions applied to trans-Pacific transport of the mails and specified the port cities in each country between which the postal services were to operate. All of the maiJs between the United States and its convention partners in the Pacific were routed through San Francisco.
Auckland and Wellington, New Zealand; Sydney, New South Wales; Brisbane, Queensland; Melbourne, Victoria; and Hobart, Tasmania were the exchange offices for the several colonies.

Spelled out in each of the Postal Conventions was the requirement that fully-prepaid letters be marked on the front with a bold "PAID ALL" in red ink: underpaid letters accepted for transmittal were to be marked the amount of underpayment in black ink. The cover shown on the front of this magazine and the one below illustrate different types of "PAID ALL" markings applied in Sydney to mail sent to the United States. (A third type is shown on the cover of the Summer 1996 issue of The Informer.)

J. Edgar Williams and I are attempting to identify the different types of "PAID ALL" instruments and solicit our reader's help. The results of our study will be reported in The Informer. This effort is just beginning and we have a long way to go. Ed has reported on his study of New Zealand's markings (see The Informer (Vol. 55, No. 1, p.7) but more
types may yet be found. Several types of N.S.W. markings have been identified, but the years before 1887 are not well covered, little has yet been accumulated on Queensland or Victoria, and nothing on Tasmania.

We need photocopies of the front and back of covers bearing "PAID ALL" markings, mailed to the United States from any of the five colonies in the years that the Postal Conventions were in force.
The "Postal Convention Between the United States of America and the Colonial Government of New South Wales" is reproduced on pages 22-23 following. The Postal Conventions between the United States, New Zealand, and the other Australian Colonies will be reproduced in coming issues of The Informer.
—Hugh Wynn
Edited by rod222 - 12/17/2019 03:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
598 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Is there a link as to where we submit our information?

Hugh Wynn wrote a book on the 'emergency' printings of New South Wales on Victorian paper in 1907. A delightful bit of research.

John
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a link as to where we submit our information?

Hi John,
alas! I have (unintentionally) misled you.
I have Australian and Great Britain Philatelic magazines dating back to 1924

I scan and preserve snippets of information so the information does not get lost over time.
This piece would have appeared in an "Australian Stamp Monthly" over the years. I took possession 2015
I usually keep the source, but not in this case, ergo it may have been sent to me.
The request therefore is out of date.
In future I'll indicate this. apologies.

Quote:
Hugh Wynn wrote a book on the 'emergency' printings of New South Wales on Victorian paper in 1907. A delightful bit of research.

I saw this the day before yesterday, Status International has a copy for sale,
I am still saving for BW2004 and Billigs.

Edited by rod222 - 12/17/2019 5:03 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not in my Library CV : $26 +ship.
NSW Post,Receiving,Telegraph and Telephone Offices Hopson / Tobin.

A-C Only

Edited by rod222 - 12/18/2019 03:06 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia Post Scams
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222,

2 days ago looking up ''stamp 1d KGV LM Watermark Cooke' I got SCAM BLOCKED notification. Re-checked today & same. Suspect eBay PC glitch. seller 8479 Macma
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also getting the Christmas "Hiccups" (Telstra)
Maybe with everyone on Holidays usage get stretched.
My computer has hung several times.
Now Gumtree has glitched
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bibliography.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christmas Fire Sale. (Stamp Literature)
First time I have received this from eBay,
It prised open my wallet.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 01/02/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Additions to the groaning Bookshelf.

One can note it came from a Philatelist, lovely souvenir sheets, lovely Pmks, and no Marker Monkeys.
Pmk: Hoppers Crossing. (Any relation to Kangaroos, one wonders)

Edited by rod222 - 01/02/2020 10:42 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 01/02/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 99 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05