Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
580 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   04:23 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by 64idgaf - 01/03/2020 04:23 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa! John.
I was questioning my sanity there for a while
I looked on "My eBay" and could not figure whom I bought the books from.
It was a mystery.
Now I recognise you sent them to me !

Red faced and apologetic......
(Put it down to Christmas madness.)

Thanks so much, a treasured part of my Library

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/09/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indicia : 2019 "Scan Events required" Label ID 8839763

US to Australia 2.26Kg Priority paid US$82
Elapsed time : 32 days
Edited by rod222 - 01/09/2020 10:09 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bushfires.
Thanks to all those whom emailed me regarding concern, I am well away from any fire situation.

It is our lovely wildlife, now in the crisis zone........
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12...ide/11830418

Victoria's native wildlife at risk of starving to death unless government drops food, vets say.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...ped/11879630
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thematic : Cycling
Pictormark 2015 FDC

Postmarks.
Tasmania : Beulah Post Office.
(Unable to find a Beulah Postmark)

Lower Beulah Postmark (Prestige Auctions)
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Field Post Office 443 ....The travels of a postal hammer.

Image Ref: Postmarks of the Australian Forces 1939-1953
Stephenson Stobbs
1984 ISBN 090522249O

===================================

March 2, 1953
THE AUSTRALIAN STAMP MONTHLY

The Wheel Turns

IN early 1940 troopships left Australia, carrying the 18th Brigade and some special Units, bound for the Middle East. During the passage there were big happenings in Europe and a repercussion thereof was that these troops landed at Glasgow (Scotland) early in June.

The infantry proceeded to Salisbury Plain.
As they arrived without any Postal stores, they were allotted the next British Field Post Office (FPO) date-stamp for issue, which happened to be No. 443, and it was used on their correspondence, which seldom bore stamps. Surface mail to Australia was postage free and airmail was cut off by the tide of war.

At the end of the year, 18th Brigade sailed round the Cape of Good Hope to Egypt. Presumably they brought F.P.O. 443 along, as it was taken on to the strength of our Army Postal Service and did duty at Aust, F.P.O. 18, at Atlantic Hotel, Alexandria.

The earliest date I know is January 7, 1941, and it appears on the little red Egyptian "Army Seals," still bearing the
asterisk above the date, which it had in England. It continued at "Alex" until the end of April and then, after a very brief rest, it bobbed up against at Aust. F.P.O. 39 at Mersa Matruh— which had assumed importance owing to Rommel's drive. To celebrate its new residence, a letter "B" was substituted for the asterisk and, for the first few days, it appeared in violet pad ink. It is curious how often it happened that they forgot to send suitable ink with the date-stamp when a new F.P.O. was opened!

Just before it left "Alex," Australian stamps were authorised for use in Egypt, so platypii (as you were!—Platypusses) can be found decorated with 443. On August 1, 1941, 443 was relieved by another date-stamp and went on furlough.

In the next year 443 can be found with dates between February and June, but I wish somebody could prove to me where it was used. In October, 1942, it is shown in a list as being held as a spare. At the time that the last
Australian Army troops left in the Middle East (in early 1943), 443 was returned to G.H.Q., M.E.
A few weeks ago a friend showed me an envelope which proved, by the address on the back, to be from a member of 78 Wing R.A.A.F., now at Malta. It bore United Kingdom stamps and—oh, yes, you've guessed it—they were cancelled by 443, who is back again backing the Aussies!

By Harry S. Porter, F.R.P.S.L.
Edited by rod222 - 01/19/2020 8:36 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exposing perhaps "Philatelic Covers" ? The fine Line..........

One Colaco Belmonte
The Dutch Consul in Sydney C1918 >
Prominent collector and creator of Philatelic Covers.

The El Salvador Philatelist 2008

David Feldman
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3672 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Morning Rod & congratulations on your 10th anniversary.

A great day and all the best to you Rod. It is 10 years ago this day you joined SCF.

All the searching for stamp info and storing of it to be be used for the benefit of others. Nice for it to be recognised & for all the people you have helped over the years. Plus all the help you have given me which is eminence.

Anyway All The Best Mate! John
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
580 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I joined a fortnight before Rod. For every post I have made, he has made 56!!!

Rod, you have made a fantastic contribution here. Congratulations.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Goodness me Thanks you very much indeed, John and John.
Ahhh! 10 years (how on ever did you know that )

10 years older, (but debt free)

SCF trumps just about any Philatelic medium I have been involved in,
It is my staple breakfast read every morning.

Met some wonderful people here, (and lost some too)
The internet can be a horrible place sometimes, but this has been a Joy and a sanity preserving occupation.

Our appreciation and heartfelt thanks should go out to Bobby, Don, Kirk and all the others that are the engine room of SCF.
We are all fortunate, whom gather here............
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3672 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Our appreciation and heartfelt thanks should go out to Bobby, Don, Kirk and all the others that are the engine room of SCF.
We are all fortunate, whom gather here............

Totally Agree.

Interesting John I joined 7 days after Rod. Nice to hear you were two weeks before Rod Joined. There was a much smaller group back then.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wise people from the East....We are sending you the heat.
My Temp Guage is currently reading 42 degrees C

To Farenheit = double the C degrees = 84, take off the first digit -8 =76
Add 32 = =108 Farenheit.

Edited by rod222 - 01/28/2020 02:01 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeking an image. Any members have an image?

Australia 1940 AIF 3d BW 220zc c$1,500
"ship engraved in selvedge margin"

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Western Australia.
Afghan Cameleers in the history of Western Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...ers/11890622
Edited by rod222 - 02/01/2020 6:06 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
Some Postage Dues (multiples) may be of interest?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ash...s/1239764136
Page: of 98 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05