Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Australia : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 99
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rarities Sold June 2005
Prestige Auctions.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently found this block to add to my WW block collection. Cost me 40 cents.

Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Linus.
Here is the gentleman 2nd from Left.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod

That photo is a classic. I love it! Thanks for showing it here.

Linus
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
598 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   02:19 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Rod....not all used postage dues with stroke are held in catalogues.....

to be fair, it was cheap because the Royal in Melbourne would not give it a clear cert. I have tried but can't find any provenance prior to 2009.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
excuse my ignorance, I am not privy to the information on such valued examples.
Your explanation is brief, and would benefit, if you could flesh out the situation to us novices.
I presume the stamp is genuine, but you need to prove use?
What would you be trying to prove / establish?

I cannot solve the violet, but I seem to see an "EXHIB"
What is a "clear certificate"?
Edited by rod222 - 02/16/2020 02:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
598 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   03:51 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are three accepted used copies of the 10s. They all feature the purple 'SYDNEY PARCELS BRANCH' cancel. You illustrated one of these along with its companion 20s.

The stamp I showed is one I purchased on eBay, additional to the three mentioned above. My cancel is different, unclear and was not considered contemporary to the stamp by the boffins at the RPSoV.

A clear certificated is one that states 'genuine in all respects'. A qualified certificate is one that questons whether all components are genuine. It may say, for example, 'stamp is genuine, cancel is not contemporary'.

In trying to prove a stamp is genuine when it has not been seen before, determining the history of ownership is important. As I said above, I can't get back further than an incomplete sale at Cherrystone in 2009. Cherrystone have no record of the vendor so I am at a dead end.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bushfires: Disaster Relief.
I have been upbraided for not posting

So here we go,
(My PO in the country still has no stock)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 03/05/2020   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

New Release : Brusden White : Postage Dues.

Uluru : Weight : 1.4 Billion tons.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jusqu'a:
Name of marking on air mail covers to discontinue conveyance by air at designated location.

This an entirely new encounter for me.
Are any members able to explain how this cover is Jusqu'a please ?
How was the name arrived at?
Any information is welcomed
Phoenix Auction

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2156 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The term is French. According to Google Translate:

jusqu' up to, until, to, over, till
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2156 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

As to the remainder of your inquiry, I wonder if there's a marking on the back regarding the routing, because there's nothing on the front that would indicate where it went from airmail to surface.

Of course, there's also the possibility that in 1927, there was little or no international airmail service to Australia, which might allow one to assume that it entered surface traffic at some point. I don't have international airmail references to verify, but I know Germany didn't have a regular transatlantic service at that time. Zeppelin's didn't start making regular trips until 1928, and the German catapult mail didn't start until 1929. It might have only traveled via airmail within Europe, then via steamer to the U.S. or around the Cape of Africa.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 03/09/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Postmaster,
appreciate your observations, I feel a tad relieved, as I had the same opinion as you regarding where it went from airmail to surface, then I thought maybe surface to airmail.
So I was perplexed.
I had seen another "justqu'a" cover where the Airmail Indicia had been cancelled by two red bars.

Auction shows no back image, but offers us this commentary. (I am not au fait with "Marshall Correspondence")

1927 (Apr 11) inwards air cover from Aalborg, Denmark to Brighton Victoria with colourful franking of mostly surcharges, endorsed 'BY AIR MAIL' and with German 'Luftpost/Par avion' black on yellow label, the earliest recorded jusqu'a airmail item to Australia. First time offered, from Marshall correspondence.
Edited by rod222 - 03/09/2020 09:45 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28879 Posts
Posted 03/11/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today:
Tom Hanks and Wife in Australia with Covid19
Wishing them, and all Aussies hospitalised, a speedy recovery.

28th March 2020
Ace Stamp Auctions
Western Australia
On line catalogue shown on page.

Edited by rod222 - 03/11/2020 11:27 pm
Page: of 99 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 7.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05