Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Florida Citrus Advertising Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,959Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted 11/23/2016   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am a coin collector/dealer, and I acquired a collection which contained this set of interesting stamps recently. Online searches have come up completely empty for me. Can anyone tell me what series these stamps belong to, and in blocks of four like this (mint, never hinged) does anyone have an idea what these are worth??

Thanks in advance...

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1647 Posts
Posted 11/23/2016   10:18 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4610 Posts
Posted 11/24/2016   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The State revenue stamps I have seen are signed by a commissioner. Not sure what to make of these.

http://www.centralfloridastampclub....2013insa.pdf
Edited by redwoodrandy - 11/24/2016 12:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/24/2016   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are from the final set of citrus advertising stamps before they went to a report system. The money from this pays for the Florida Citrus Commission advertising program. Anyone remember Connie Francis doing the commercials?

Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 11/24/2016 11:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
Posted 11/24/2016   10:10 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog numbers CF45-CF47, cataloging $4.00, $4.00, $8.00 accordingly as mint singles.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/24/2016   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the new State Revenue Catalog they are now CFA14-16 and the mint singles still catalog $4, $4, and $8 respectively. There is also a 5 denomination that catalogs $5 as a mint single. They were issued around 1945 and remained in sporadic use for many years.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 11/24/2016   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thanks everyone
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now we see the three blocks being offered on eBay!
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 11/27/2016   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - I am a coin collector/dealer. Usually when I get Canadian stamps, I "lick 'em and stick 'em" on my envelopes, but now and again, I get world stamps in the collections I buy (I usually don't have a choice)... but, being a moderator on the Coin Forum of this site, I don't advertise my sales. I come here for information in a hobby I know very little about... but yes, those are mine.
Edited by SPP-Ottawa - 11/27/2016 3:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 11/28/2016   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sheets of the FL citrus advertising stamps show up with some regularity on the market, whether retail or auction. Blocks of 4 maybe less so. In fact, Eric Jackson has a sheet of the 2c (FL CFA 15) in his current auction.

I buy state revenues with some regularity, especially through eBay. I see a lot of material, common and not, go through there. I don't presume to tell anyone how to run his business, but I've seen good results with state revenue material that was started at a low bid and let the market determine the value. It's such an esoteric corner of revenue collecting that even the values in the SRS catalog sometimes miss the mark (for good or bad!).

Best of luck, SPP. Those are some cool stamps.
Edited by DenimDan - 11/28/2016 8:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,959Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05