Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I Being A Sore Loser Or Just A Coincidence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
616 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   5:07 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
AS if I did not already have enough stamps for the next 10 years I have been bidding on some collections on eBay. Which I did not win. So I went looking at the available bio on the winner. It turns out they outbid me on at least two, that I have found so far, of the lots I was bidding on. (Coincidence?) It then turns out that 99% of this bidders activity is with a single major NY Auction house. This sounds to me like maybe the bidding was not high enough so up it was going up until a satisfactory number was met?? The deals were really incredibly good on these two lots and this bidder did out bid my max by only the next bid up. Anyone else have similar coincidences?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4583 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait and see if the collections come up for auction again soon.

Also if the deal was good and you lost by one increment then you may have bid too low. If you are second highest bidder you will always lose by one increment.

Do you snipe or do you bid early and often and contribute to the price runup?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2937 Posts
Posted 12/04/2016   9:41 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
how do you know they only "out bid my max by only the next bid up" - eBay lots always sell for no more than one increment over the second high bid
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1033 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you inc a link to another of the sellers items so we can have a look at what he is selling? Sometimes the feedback is a key indicater if any shill bidding is going on. And any current bidding can be looked at. Try bidding low on another couple of his items and see if your outbid by the same bidder.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   03:14 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had an even more bizarre auction. I was outbid and had decided not to increase my bid. A day or so later I get an e-mail from eBay saying the high bidder had retracted his bid and that I was now the high bidder. When I looked at the bid history the retracted bidder within 1 minute of retracting placed another bid slightly lower than mine. ???? Smelled a little fishy.

When I investigated that bidders activity, 84% of his bids were with this seller. Smelled even more fishy ! I contacted the seller to see what was going on. No reply. I waited until 13 hours before the close and retracted my bid. Maybe I've done that once is over ten years of bidding. The lot sold for 99 cents.

The whole event seemed to be a case of shill bidding. Further investigation of current and past sales by the seller changed my mind. I couldn't see a pattern and that bidder only had 1 retraction on his record. Most likely the bidder had made an honest mistake. The 84 % was most likely, he just liked what this seller was offering and wanted to combine shipments.

Sometimes we are too quick to judge.
Valued Member
Austria
243 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, with 99 Cents your're probably right, that it's been a mistake. I once had my limit - but not for a stamp auction - on 5000,- Euros.
Day by day one bidder got higher and higher, until he reached my limit. One hour later I got an email from eBay, that I'm very lucky to have the highest bid again - 4995,-

First I was really angry about that, but there was no need to. If you get the highest bid this way, you cannot be forced to take the item. Your bid expires immediately, when someone makes a higher offer. So a short "I'm not interested anymore"-message, and that's it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5928 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are all kinds of games being played by both the seller and the buyers during public auctions ,my experience has been at public auctions but the same would apply to on line auctions .
Some times you get so mad because you know your getting jerked around and want to punch someone out . I even had friends run up bidding against me only because I won a lot earlier in the day that they also wanted. Suck it up and walk away and the sooner you forget about it ,the happier you are .
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05