Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tired Of Lunar New Year

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,187Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
Posted 12/12/2016   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kirks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I the only one who's more than a little sick and tired of Lunar New Year stamps?

Enough already!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1469 Posts
Posted 12/12/2016   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS markets to every ethnographic group, doesn't it? As long as there are Chinese in the US, and Chinese-Americans, we will have these stamps. It's an important holiday in their culture. The Lunar New Year parades in New York and San Francisco are major events and basically shut down the Chinese sections of the cities for a day.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2976 Posts
Posted 12/12/2016   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is does not help when the designs (like this years) is not visually appealing.
Al
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 12/12/2016   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind them except for when the USPS issued the whole 12 year cycle en masse. For what purpose? People who celebrate the lunar new year have no use for the stamp other than the one for the current year. Are they supposed to squirrel the other 11 away and use them one at a time for the next 11 years?
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found some of the Lunar New Year stamps interesting & attractive, and went out of my way to use them as postage, and think that being aware of other calendars is right up there with a grasp of Centigrade.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2976 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will put Christmas stamps on in July..shock!?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1469 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... when the USPS issued the whole 12 year cycle en masse. For what purpose?

The 2005 and 2006 issues could have interested Chinese-Americans interested in displaying the symbols of the whole year or teaching their kids about them. Since those issues stopped at 2006, it may have been a failed marketing experiment.

Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 12/16/2016   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffyl00b to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the current series, look forward to it every year. The artist is terrific. I'm really looking forward to this rooster stamp as well.

When I saw the new issue in the bulletin, I thought it was great how at least the United States Post Office still allows us to celebrate holidays and diversity where the rest of America has shunned all mentions of it.

I just received an email from a professional trade association that said "happy holiday" (never plural of course, singular one holiday), and the contents were wishing me a good new year only. I don't even celebrate that new year. Thank you USPS for having Hannukah and lunar new year stamps. The corporate version of political correctness is a major offensive fail.
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 12/16/2016   12:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last time I counted, there were 220 national holidays worldwide. So if the objective is to not insult or offend anyone, then USPS may have to issue one stamp every weekday for the entire year to get them all covered.
Don
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't give them any ideas, Don :)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USA lunar year stamps are - well - downright ugly. Look to Canada for design inspirations USPS - if you want to get close to the leading edge.
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2008-2019 Lunar New Year stamps are beautiful and some of the ones that depict flowers or fruit can be used throughout the year without the recipient being bewildered. The current cycle of 12 that began in 2020 look less dazzling and more similar to each other. Ironically, the 2020 (Year of the Rat) issue is no longer available on the USPS website, but the 2019 is, so perhaps I'm in the minority when it comes to taste, or there are a lot of buyers who were born in the Year of the Rat.
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckildegaard to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's fantastic that the Chinese culture is recognized in this way. Different people celebrate different things, and representation matters.

As for there being over 200 different holidays around the world: while it may not be achievable to recognize them all on US stamps, I imagine there are probably still significant groups of Americans who celebrate holidays not being recognized by our stamps, and that could (and should) be rectified as much as possible. Besides, if more cultures are recognized (and if USPS makes this known to the public), that should theoretically lead to more people buying stamps (both for mail and for collecting), which is in the postal service's best interest.

EDIT: My partner is Chinese, and while he does not share my passion for stamps or the mail, I think the representation probably matters to him in some way. This isn't a trivial matter.
Edited by ckildegaard - 01/29/2021 12:46 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
473 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who actually like the U.S. Lunar New Year series, I have created a set of album pages (using the free AlbumEasy software) for all of those stamps through 2031, including the 2 souvenir sheets. They are available as a free downoad at https://www.thestampweb.com/albums/free-downloads Scroll down to the USA Pages.

Here are two examples from my own album and so has the Scott numbers. The free pages do not have those due to copyright issues. The frames are sized to allow for the use of Scott/Prinz mounts.

You can download the pdf file only and print the pages from that. If you have (or also want to download) the free AlbumEasy software, download the .txt file and make whatever changes you want to the pages - like adding the Scott numbers.

Edited by uboatnut - 01/29/2021 1:16 pm
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ckildegaard: Excellent post! Which series of USPS Lunar New Year stamps are your favorite?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
473 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first series ran from 1992 - 2004.

In 2005, the USPS gathered all 12 designs into a souvenir sheet. Since the 2005 First Class rate was 37, the cost would have been $4.44 for 12 stamps. The number 4 is an unlucky number in Asia, so USPS made the sheet double-sided. The price became $8.88 and 8 is a lucky number in Asia.

In 2006, the First Class rate increased to 39, so the total cost for a sheet of 12 became $4.68 and production of a single-sided sheet was now possible.

From 2008 - 2017, the USPS re-issued the entire series for a second time, using new designs.

In 2020, the USPS decided to re-issue the entire series for a third time, again using new designs. The last stamp in this 3rd series will be issued in 2031.
Edited by uboatnut - 01/29/2021 6:48 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,187Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05