Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay sales slump, interested to hear from other sellers how they are doing, sales up or down?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community

Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   4:20 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I am a top rated stamps / postal history power seller and I have noticed this week a huge drop in bidders. It seems to be really bad probably the worst selling for December on eBay since I have been selling. In fact this last few months sales are considerably down compared to the same time last year. Maybe there is to much competition? I've got nice old stamps on covers up some at 99 cents starts and yet not many people seem to be looking Is anyone else noticing the same with their eBay sales? I have over 220 followers but they don't seem to actively be checking. Everybody off shopping for Xmas? I'd be interested to hear from sellers and buyers on this. Buyers are you still buying a lot from eBay? Sellers how are you going with selling compared to last year?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing the opposite. I re-listed 200 auctions last weekend that had failed to sell in the past few months. There was a promotion for 500 free listings, so I figured why not. So far, 18 of the items have bids. These are all items that failed to sell at least twice now. I think I have 4 or 5 different bidders. Not bad for a shot in the dark.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2173 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   8:16 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished up an auction of stamp lots - just 63 lots, but 61 sold. All started at 99 cents, but many sold over $20 and some as high as $90. There was a lot of activity. I normally sell covers as well, but really haven't had the time to put up a big cover auction. Next year.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1053 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just winding up my best month ever. So maybe it's what is being sold / how much rather than a drop in buyers. Having said that half of my 300 listed items have not moved in two months.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
535 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   8:54 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This week is a little slow, but my sales have been very good in the last couple months and I even had good sales over Thanksgiving. I have much more trouble finding material than I do selling it. I think good material selling at auction with a low starting price will always do OK in the long run.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/13/2016   10:05 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the feeling 99 cent starters are the easiest to sell but not much money in that unless you get several making over $20 like battlestamps did. But I cringe when I see great items go for 99 cents,then find them being sold at high prices by dealers elsewhere. Buy it now at set prices are very slow to sell. 300 items not moving in two months is a worry though I seem to be in the same boat as having 200+ items not selling and having to relist and hope some go. What would you call an average month $5000? Like Krelyea I had a good couple of months but this week suddenly seems slow. I guess sales come in waves. Bidders suddenly drop off and then come back later.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
535 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   12:56 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I auction 50 items/week all start at $2.59 average sale price $45 with 99%+ selling.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tvorog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The most active sales period in 2016 for me was in the spring.
Last two months (October, November) were very slow. This week sales picked up a bit.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   4:16 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe buyers are sticking with certain sellers and not looking at other sellers? I had a regular say he could not see my items and then just now another regular buyer saying the same thing. Somethings funny with Cassini sometimes we seem to be on a blackout?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2173 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   4:29 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried an email newsletter to let folks know about new listings?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   4:31 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes my newsletter has gone out every week in fact the guy who said he can't see my listings said he gets my newsletter. In this down time I guess put more buy it now up and hope for buyers.
Learn More...
3255 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   4:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
…I had a regular say he could not see my items and then just now another regular buyer saying the same thing…

duncanvr,
eBay has many servers spread across the world. In fact as of last year, they reported they had in excess of 54,000 servers! They have far fewer data centers but keep in mind the logistical nightmares of such a massive network. (Imagine just the headaches of the language translations between the servers.)

I know we all love to hate on eBay, but the fact that you can submit a listing and within seconds (5-15 seconds in my informal testing) and have it propagate cross a network of worldwide servers is pretty amazing. eBay out performs all the biggest network giants in this respect.

But it is not surprising to me that some users might not see a listing. I would inquire about which part of the world they are working from and see if I could spot any trends. For example, it may be that it is mostly eBay CA (Canada) that user have issues. Did you notice if the users who report trouble were from a particular part of the globe?

Keep in mind that it is common for users to be presented with 'regional' search results. Most all search engines will prioritize 'local' results first (local might be by country or continent.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These guys are in Brazil and Canada I guess it would be good if members on here from those counties could check to see if they can view all my stuff. It could also be a case of the users not cleaning their PCs I suppose. I told one of them to delete history and replace my shop link with a new one. Yes eBay is amazing with the way you can list an item and it can be seen on the other side of the world in minutes. Record for me was a buy it now sold 1 minute after it was listed. But I do worry when regulars start complaining they can't find my eBay listings.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tvorog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it is just a matter of not forgetting to chose a "Worldwide" option during the search.
If one doesn't chose this option, one doesn't see many listings posted in other countries.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/14/2016   7:48 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll ask those guys to make sure they selected "Worldwide", good point
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  Image Optimizer Help
  George v. Any interest
  Mexico - 5 Classic Stamps
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington
  colour on franklin 1cent
  Help deciphering a WW2 cover please
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Spain Scott 338a showing many ink lines and other printing flaws.
  Vario and Digital, so simple
  Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Now this is one seriously red stamp

colour on franklin 1cent
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Zeps-king of the skies
  Unseen RED LINE EFO's on Queen Elisabeth - 1 cent(1953-65 Canada)
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Spain Scott 338a showing many ink lines and other printing flaws.
  Does anyone have postcards with cars on them?
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  calf of man on cover
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Minkus Supreme Global Album Back in Print
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  My Australian Oddities
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.85 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05