Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay sales slump, interested to hear from other sellers how they are doing, sales up or down?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   6:30 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi angore Dutchman1948 is not a seller he quoted my start of this post which states I am the seller
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
315 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To carry this a little further, I used to buy a lot on eBay and have cut way back due to too much being misdescribed for the worse. Not saying you are like that, but many are, and some are very large dealers.

I will be spending the next while sorting what I have here and putting it where it belongs, rather than buying more. I have already discontinued countries that I used to collect and will do more reducing once I get everything sorted out.

I have been a buyer on eBay since 1999 and a seller since 2003, not selling stamps however.

eBay is becoming a tough racket from both a seller side and buyers side. As many other sellers are finding out, eBay can pick and choose who gets to sell and who does not and collectibles are really not doing well these days as they do not fit the mold of big box stores or the Chinese sellers..
Edited by dutchman1948 - 12/31/2016 7:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   7:15 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I find as a seller is that you have to list accurately every day to stay on top of Cassini. Its a very tough market but many buyers keep coming back to me so I must be doing something right? Stamps on older covers seem to be more popular that loose common stamps, where there are too many of the same common loose stamps sets listed. Old covers are unique you get the postmarks and can see the routes. GB Queen Victoria stamps on covers very popular I am always selling out of them. Hard to keep up with demand sometimes.
Valued Member
Canada
315 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's more of a specialty area but not everyone collects covers.

But like covers, the older stamps in good condition are also in demand.

Many sellers are also finding out that good quality material is becoming difficult to pick up for resale unless you have deep pockets and buy large quantities at actual auction houses.

I personally quit buying stuff for resale some years ago for exactly that reason. And of course now, everyone can be a seller and it is becoming more of a race to the bottom which hurts legitimate business sellers.

Edited by dutchman1948 - 12/31/2016 7:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2766 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of interesting post ------Yes buying is way down on eBay . What we have now are the deep discount buyers ,we have those who have front page listings as control by eBay , We have the bottom feeders and long time listers who have their regular customers . Those 4 types maybe account for 80% of all stamp sales .
If your someone trying to sell your duplicates or your collection it is going to be a hard row . If your not willing to sell at deep discounts like 10% of catalog or one cent per stamp and postal history covers for 99 cents then it becomes a struggle to sell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you paint a beak picture which relates to less collectors
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2766 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I did SDTOM . I wish you could sit with me while viewing large collections and bulk accumulations at some of the major stamp auction firms . I can show you stuff people like me spend a lifetime to put together and all written up and others all mounted in fine expensive albums ,this is not common stuff but stuff that shows up once every few years, I now seeing stuff that's once in a life time material . But now it is going for opening bid or selling for 10% of catalog for the stamps ,never mind that you can't find it next month even at full catalog .
I spend all my funds at Kelleher on June 2,2016 during the CAPURRO COLLECTION ,during the first 1/3 of the country collections part and then sat thru the rest of the sale upset because of what the collections were going for . I really thought with the big stamp show going on with thousands of collectors ,that lots would be fought over .
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   4:39 pm  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi floortrader auction house like Kelleher now charge a huge buying premium some over 20%. I used to buy from Golden Valley auction house but when he ads that 20% buying fee at the end its really a put off. In some cases and I seen some buying premiums at 25% these fees are higher than eBay selling fees. Auction houses also charging sellers the same fees. I think what your saying is collections are selling to cheap at auction house. I tried an experiment and sent some USA stamped older covers 1860s into an auction house. They got sold for less than what I can sell them for on eBay. Has there been a major decline in auction house bidding as well?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
531 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   11:14 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity I looked at eBay sales in the US Stamps category. In the last 3 months 483,000 items were sold. Of these 306,000 sales were by auction and 177,000 were fixed price. I looked a little further and was astonished to find that the median sale price for the auctions was $3.85 and $5.00 for the Fixed Price. For those that are not numerically inclined the Median Price is the price where 1/2 the sales are below this amount and 1/2 the sales are above it.

I also looked at the number of items that sold for more than $25. For both the auction and fixed price items slightly more than 12% of the items sold exceeded $25. I was very surprised at how low these prices were. I did the same analysis for the Worldwide Category, the results for both are shown below;

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
918 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   12:33 am  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRelyea that's very intereting & I am glad I sell pre-stamp, stampless and stamped covers the numbers seem to be better than loose stamps. Auctions $3.85 and $5.00 for the Fixed Price seems like a lot of work for little result. You have to powersell at those prices. See if you can check the figures for world wide Stamps category the terms, Entire, Pre-stamp, stampless & cover. It would be interesting to compare to loose US stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess many are just disposing of collections (not really a full time dealer) or getting supplemental income.

Al
Edited by angore - 01/03/2017 07:06 am
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   11:56 am  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MOst of my sales are between $5 and $10 per item. I don't understand how someone can sell items for less than $5 on E-bay and not lose money. Between PayPal fees, E-bay fees, and shipping, a $5 sale nets me less than $1. Shipping is the big expense for me, I use rigid photo mailers and it is $2.60 to mail those. Of course, I am selling sheets of stamps, and not a single, but E-bay does require tracking, and I don't think there is a way to get tracking for a first class envelope.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you offering free shipping? I would expect a surcharge for sheets mailed flat. I can see a first class letter as part of free shipping.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2271 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   12:50 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay doesn't require tracking - sellers choose to do it to protect themselves. I usually offer free postage, which means anything less than 2.50 isn't really worth selling as a single lot. I send items by second class post, which arrives in a couple of days. If someone's spent over a certain amount, I use first class. I send high-value lots signed for. I tend to charge for postage where there's a risk of a heavier item selling for very little. Here, postal costs zoom upwards once you go above 2 kilos.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Cogwheels
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  ship stamps
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Lock Seals?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05