Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited...USA...mint blocks & sheets...catalog them?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Marcus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
New to all of this...Inherited 100s of full sheets and blocks...many multiple duplicates.
Before I do anything I wish to inventory them.
Looking for a spreadsheet program, or? To list them without having to enter a lot of data.
I have looked into the software programs, but all negative comments.
I must be missing something...hopefully with Scott numbering system.
Thanks in advance...
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
establish a simple Excel spread sheet, with minimum data inputs & some math functions, grab a Scotts' (public library??)and input. The time will be well spent as you will find yourself gleaning each sheet for EFO's, block numbers, which can be used as further reference if you have a mind to market any of the items. (I have been tempted to purchase a a 'program' but find that the spreadsheet allows for individual investigation on each input rather than pre-programmed data.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use excel and USA, you can go to http://www.stampcat.com/downloads.php?cat_id=13 and download the usa.zip file. It has descriptions and other info for US stamps up to 2006 or so. You open the zip file, then open the .imp file with Excel. It is actually in a db format that excel will recognize. There are no Scott numbers included but it is in generally chronological order so mapping is not that difficult.

Al
Edited by angore - 01/04/2017 11:34 am
United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/28/2017   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marcus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still looking for a viable solution to catalog my (100% USA) stamps.
I have Microsoft Excel, if it helps.
For some reason, Angore's download didn't save and open properly.
1. Anymore ideas out There?
2. Angore:could you please email the files as attachments and NOT zip them?
Thanks for your assistance!
Marcus
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Please DO NOT Put me on any mailing list without my express permission.
Thanks!
Edited by Marcus - 01/28/2017 8:51 pm
Learn More...
3262 Posts
Posted 01/28/2017   9:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Marcus, posting your email address is against the rules (and often gets you a mailbox full of spam).

Give me until tomorrow, I'll contact you.
Don
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 04/29/2017   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, would you be willing to send them to me as well?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...?usp=sharing

Don, I would like to see the file you have. I can clean up my personal one and share it at some point.

Al
Edited by angore - 04/30/2017 06:53 am
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to my post/request a couple up from this one, here's my situation, very similar to the OP:

I hope I haven't made a colossal blunder... A friend told his next door neighbor that I collected stamps. After her husband and his brother passed away, she inherited the brother-in-law's stamps and had zero interest in them. Long story short, I took pity on her and bought the stamps from her a couple of weeks ago.

The b-i-l had taken construction paper and put a Scott number at the bottom with a label maker. Then he mounted (not hinged) whatever he had for that number on the sheet - single, plate block, FDC, etc. I've never seen anything like this - some pages have a single stamp, some have one of everything. There are 15+ three ring binders like that.

I'm just starting to think through the best way to at least break even and get these in the hands of someone who can get some enjoyment out of them. I started looking for stamp valuation books and happened to think a few days later that this should be much easier to do via software. I've never done anything with inventorying my own collection, so I'm wondering if it's worth investing in software that will allow me to enter my own collection and then set up something separate while I'm working through the stuff I just bought. But I'm also a computer builder, so a spreadsheet is certainly an option I'd consider.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions more expert than my own.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 05/12/2017   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would start with a spreadsheet if you are just trying to associate a catalog number, description and whether you have it or not. The question is what is your goal? If you elaborate then more feedback can be given?

If the stamps were mounted directly to the pages (no hinges), you can soak off and then put in album. If you just like the beauty and organization, it does not matter if it has a gum or not. It would not be about value. Most US stamps since the 40's are not worth that much...you see a lot of scrap postage being sold well below face value.

Al
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 05/12/2017   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess my initial and more immediate goal is twofold - first, figure out what I have, and then figure out if any of it is worth anything. As for what I bought, I apologize for the lack of clarity... when I stated the "he mounted (not hinged)" the stamps, I meant the better option, that he used something like Showgard, not that he stuck them down.

I'll download the google file but I would also like Don's to compare
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don's is more up to date than the one I posted. One of my to do's is clean my personal one up sharing.

Al
Edited by angore - 05/13/2017 06:19 am
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 05/14/2017   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to have both. Hopefully, he'll see this and will be willing to share his version with me.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 05/31/2017   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went to my local Stamp Club's meeting Tuesday night and happened to find the 200, 300 & 400 books in time to take them with me. Each binder has several dozen used stamps but, in looking through them, we found a few MNH gems that will make what I bought worth the money. There is a nice #298 8c Pan-American, a few earlier in that set, and a couple from other similar sets (maybe Columbian and things like that). So it looks like I haven't made the colossal blunder I feared. Now to get started with the catalogification.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 05/31/2017   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, what did you decide to use to assist with cataloguing them (reference as well as software)?

Al
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 05/31/2017   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SVTarHeel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still thinking. I guess I was inadvertently waiting to get some opinions from ppl more veteran than myself before really diving in.

I was able to connect with Don and discussed the software options, but I'm still not sure if I'll start with a spreadsheet or invest in software. In typing that, I guess it makes the most sense to start with the monetarily inexpensive option (spreadsheet) and purchase software if that doesn't work well for me.

As for reference, I bought a 2015 Scott's US Specialized catalogue online last night.
Edited by SVTarHeel - 05/31/2017 09:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 05/31/2017   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were you able to download the xls file I posted on google drive?

Al
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Is this Trinidad cancel fiscal?
  George V 'Downey Head' Perfin PDN (transatlantic PO)
  Tsarist Russia Stamps [Need Help]
  Ready to start mounting stamps
  Colour shades on newish stamps to.
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  Image Optimizer Help
  George v. Any interest
  Mexico - 5 Classic Stamps
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington
  colour on franklin 1cent
  Help deciphering a WW2 cover please
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Spain Scott 338a showing many ink lines and other printing flaws.
  Vario and Digital, so simple

Is this Trinidad cancel fiscal?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Water on stamps
  Polar Philately
  Today's challenge: spot the "better" stamp in this lot.
  Ready to start mounting stamps
  Large Queen #27 Guide Line plate variety
  Zeps-king of the skies
  Unseen RED LINE EFO's on Queen Elisabeth - 1 cent(1953-65 Canada)
  More Cartel shenanigans
  Colour shades on newish stamps to.
  Minkus Supreme Global Album Back in Print
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  George V 'Downey Head' Perfin PDN (transatlantic PO)
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Automatic Supplements
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Tsarist Russia Stamps [Need Help]
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  Interesting DL watermark S
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Military Aviation on stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05