Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Algeria : On Album Pages.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 6,050Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree, Shermae.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3076 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

GC paper is described by SG as a greyish granite paper so you should be able to make out little fibres in the paper when you look at the back of the stamp.

The fibres are clearly visible on my French GC stamps but some stamps have many more fibres than others.

I don't see any GC listings for Algeria in SG Part 6 and unfortunately I don't have any French or Michel catalogues for Algeria.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking time out to look for me Nigel.
I'll glassine the suspects , just in case.
The 3c Liberty there's something definitely going on there.
If I come across any news, or mail from blogs , I'll post
I'll also post after looking for fibres.

Glossary
To economise paper stock during the 1914-18 war, paper of poor quality was used for the manufacture of French and French colonial stamps. Introduced late in 1916, sheet margins bore the initials G.C., and postmasters were advised to use extra care in handling. The papers varied in tone and quality, the commonest being a greyish newsprint recognisable in the stamps at a glance, but others of better quality, white and cream, are not easily distinguishable unless with "G.C." margin.

Paper examples and Fibres
http://blog.stampmagazine.co.uk/201...archive.html
Edited by rod222 - 04/09/2021 07:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5667 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   07:04 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the stamps of the first Algerian issue, including the 3c Blanc, were issued on GC paper. No others were.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3076 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Quote:
The papers varied in tone and quality, the commonest being a greyish newsprint recognisable in the stamps at a glance, but others of better quality, white and cream, are not easily distinguishable unless with "G.C." margin.

That's a great point. I guess I can only identify the GC stamps where I can see the fibres!

I don't think I'll worry about the other GC stamps.

Sometimes I find paper and finish differences fascinating and other times frustrating.

As an example, one area I've never felt comfortable in identifying stamps is the Ceres design of Portugal and her colonies and all its variations.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5667 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel - The only stamps of the Algeria 1924-25 issue - or any Algerian issue - that may be on GC paper are the 3c Blanc and the 15c semeuse (from Maury). So you only have two to check.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1924 Steiner Page 2.

1926 Steiner Page 3.

1926 Postage Dues Steiner Page 27.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful work rod!!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/08/2021   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1937 Steiner Page 6.

1941 Steiner Page 8.

1944 Steiner Page 10.
These Pages all second hand stamp mounts.
Edited by rod222 - 07/08/2021 03:47 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/08/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1962 Steiner Page 2.

1968 Steiner Page 12.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 6,050Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05