Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Scott 539 on eBay  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
While I am not personally interested in purchasing this stamp, I thought I would ask members for their opinion. I have never purchased anything from this seller ... nor will I since I once asked him if he would relax his 14-day return policy to allow for expertization. No answer ... which to me meant NO.
I am not an expert, but I do have serious questions about the stamp. In particular, if genuine, why would it not be offered at one of the well known auction sites? It also seems extremely well-centered for a 539 ... and I question some of the perforations, especially those on the right. But again, I am not an expert. It will be interesting to see the winning bid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19206563440...AMEBIDX%3AIT
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   11:15 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Begs for a cert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WARNING

bestlowprices is one of Philip Ryle's (the British Cartel) eBay personae. See the 9 page thread at http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopi...b8&start=400

He has a ton of them; (i.e. "mint_stamps", "rush-more", "postage-dues", "re-entry" "bargaindiscountstampsales85", "collectstamps", "superdeal70", and "collect4".)

eBay periodically delists the ones with the most complaints (i.e. "tenshillings").

He's based in the UK but pretends to be in the U.S.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Learn More...
3262 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   02:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...It will be interesting to see the winning bid...

The 'winning' bid will be whatever he wants it to be, he has multiple eBay accounts (40-50+). eBay finally got around to NARUing his 'collect-coins' name a week or two ago.

I would add that he also just opened a new retail website where he is buying/selling stamps. I am not going to link it here since this would just drive more traffic to it. The domain name is registered to a new Canadian company and his name is not mentioned on the site.

Like many folks I am wiling to deal with someone if I am just risking a few dollars. But when we move to dropping significant money on things we do not have in hand, we really should understand who we are dealing with.
Don
Learn More...
3262 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   11:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some additional input on the stamp in question...

As is typical for this seller, the stamp in mis-described. It is not a #539 but rather a #540. The lower hair in the lock behind the ear is longer. The missing ribbon line may have been scraped off. And no 539 would be this color or have this strong an impression.

Again, if you are spending significant money on stamps at this level do not be fooled into buying from people who you do not know. I get emails from folks who have decades of experience who felt they knew enough to buy from images and/or would be protected by eBays' return policies. Ask yourself if you owned stamps that are worth more than several hundred dollars would you list them starting at $0.01 if you didn't have a way to prevent yourself from losing a lot of money? Rolling the dice on an unknown seller, given that they may simple be a felon who is hiding their real identity, is always a possibility when you spot a 'deal'. Good sellers know their stamps and know what a quality stamp is worth.

There are plenty of good sellers (i.e. Clark Frazier) if you are buying higher level material. Ask other hobbyists who they have used, look for memberships in hobby organizations, and do your homework with any seller you do not know.
Don

Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ananthveerappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cartel Alert !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the replies.
Don, I find I pretty much agree with your assessment. My first inclination was to assume that this was likely a slightly modified 540. It seemed the likely choice because of the perforations. But I was not aware that this particular eBay handle was one of the many used by the cartel. Useful info. I also agree with your opinion that a stamp of this supposed caliber should only be purchased from a trusted seller ... and even then, one would want a cert.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent advice from Don as usual.

eBay is no place to be buying rare and specialized stamps UNLESS the following apply:

1) You are prepared to lose every penny that you just bid and not feel it.

2) You actually ARE a very experienced collector and can spot a 540 masquerading as a 539 like Don just did.

3) The seller offers a no questions asked return policy.

4) A quick google search of the seller shows that he's a good guy.

Not everyone on eBay is bad.. Some of the best known and most prominent dealers in Philately are there; Richard Frajola sells there from time to time and he is beyond reproach. Stanley Piller also sells there and I absolutely trust Stanley and have known him my whole life.

There's also a number of other sellers who are good people and can be trusted, and then there's the crooks. Like anything else you need to research your seller and do your due diligence.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kudos to JJLebbert for brining this to our attention. Also to Don for educating us on how stamps are altered to be something which they are not.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One final note. For those (like me) who may not be fully aware of the color differences between 539 & 540 that Don pointed out, I suggest you visit the Philatelic Foundation web site. There you can search out their existing 539 certificates. The sixth entry on the first page of certs shows a 540 that has been modified to resemble a 539. Compare the color of that stamp to the ones above & below it ... and/or compare one of the certified 539s with the stamp now offered on eBay.
Valued Member
Canada
436 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLL
What is the exact link to these certificates ?- Home page of the foundation contains ++++ info !

Thanks
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link is...

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/

You can access it from the home page from the box at the upper left of the page.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can go to philatelicfoundation.org. The first screen has a spot in the upper left hand corner that you can click on to get to the search screen. There just enter the Scott number of the certs that you want to see. Or just click on the link below ... it will take you directly to the 539 certs. I included all the other info in case you want to search for different certs.
http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp
Valued Member
Canada
436 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JLL !...and mml1942
Edited by Renden - 01/07/2017 1:54 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW - Thanks for the education. At a 100% rating I would not have hesitated to purchase from this seller. Great thread!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
445 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   6:30 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if it was real it should not have sold for $1,713.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Washingt...047675.l2557

edit: I did just look at Siegel power search and saw one sold October 2016 for $11,000.
Edited by rlmstamps2012 - 01/10/2017 6:35 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Is this Trinidad cancel fiscal?
  George V 'Downey Head' Perfin PDN (transatlantic PO)
  Tsarist Russia Stamps [Need Help]
  Ready to start mounting stamps
  Colour shades on newish stamps to.
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  Image Optimizer Help
  George v. Any interest
  Mexico - 5 Classic Stamps
  strange re- value on a 2 cent washington
  colour on franklin 1cent
  Help deciphering a WW2 cover please
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Spain Scott 338a showing many ink lines and other printing flaws.
  Vario and Digital, so simple

Is this Trinidad cancel fiscal?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Water on stamps
  Polar Philately
  Today's challenge: spot the "better" stamp in this lot.
  Ready to start mounting stamps
  Large Queen #27 Guide Line plate variety
  Zeps-king of the skies
  Unseen RED LINE EFO's on Queen Elisabeth - 1 cent(1953-65 Canada)
  More Cartel shenanigans
  Colour shades on newish stamps to.
  Minkus Supreme Global Album Back in Print
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  George V 'Downey Head' Perfin PDN (transatlantic PO)
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Automatic Supplements
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Tsarist Russia Stamps [Need Help]
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  Interesting DL watermark S
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Military Aviation on stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05