Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 0269 - Rare perforated O.H.M.S  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys..Got in my possession 9 rare (not in Unitrade yet) O.H.M.S. stamps..These stamp are double perforations..Below is one such rarity...It is a pair of Scott 0269 stamps.

Robert

If anyone is interested, I have
0269 (a single)

These double perfs stamps to me are NOT common..I can attach any one of these rarities if you like to look at...Also have their positions.
Send note to Staff
Edited by wert - 01/10/2017 09:01 am

Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure they are real? I recall hearing about a forger in Vancouver who was cranking these out and selling them on eBay around 2014.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya Don..I got them from a very reputable collector (member of BNAPS, City Montreal stamps, etc.) who purchased them from a well known dealer from I believe Saskatoon..Both these collectors have had them in their hands and finally to mine...Might get more info and pictures to approach Unitrade to get what they think...They are for real and excited to have them in my collection.

Robe
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:23 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found what I recalled, it was this passage on Ken Pugh's site..

Quote:
" In 1981, I assisted the R.C.M.P. in examining over a million dollars worth of O.H.M.S. perfins. These fake perfins were in the hands of three Vancouver stamp dealers as well as the author of the Perforated Initials catalogues, Roy Wrigley. After the dust of the trial has settled, there was a tendency to label every O.H.M.S. perfin on the market a fake if it did not conform to a rigorous and arbitrary criteria. Some dealers and advanced collectors wisely obtained a 4-hole and 5-hole perfin that had been certified as genuine. There were two types of 4-hole perfins, so the average reference of genuine perfins contained three genuine control samples. Any perfin that deviated from the alignment of the ‘control' group were declared as fakes."

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow don...is a matter of fact, ALL the write ups attached to these stamps have the name Wrigley on them..WoW..Guess a have a bunch of fakes on my hands (maybe)..Hey, how many people have these then.

Here s one of the 9 write up on cards I have..rare or fake..?

Robert

Edited by wert - 01/10/2017 11:35 am
Learn More...
3250 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
If the original perforator(s) is still in existence the act of 'making' these would be very tempting for anyone who might be somewhat less than totally ethical. I think the fakes might be distinguished by the straightness of some of the letters (note the 'H') but perhaps others who are more knowledgeable in them will weight in.

Have you compared the pefin hole alignments to others in your collection?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don
I just sent an example to a gentleman named Jim ( BNAPS )who is associated with perfins...Hopefully he can give me incite to whether or not they are fakes or the real deal.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2273 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   10:02 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert

I think the reference to Wrigley on the slip with your GVI stamp is to his catalogue, not his sales. Hope they're genuine!

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5463 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:29 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be very wary of anything from City Montreal. Despite my repeated attempts at getting this re-perforated Vancouver Island stamp described correctly, it has appeared again on eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361561872823?rmvSB=true

I first pointed out this stamp here:

http://goscf.com/t/42706#42706

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 01/10/2017 11:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee...did not say Montreal stamps was good or not..Just that my friend is part of the knowledge base..

Perfins are different from your stamp

Robert
Edited by wert - 01/10/2017 11:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5463 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:44 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, you said this:

Quote:
I got them from a very reputable collector (member of BNAPS, City Montreal stamps, etc.)

Quote:
Perfins are different from your stamp

So that means a seller of fake perfins would not sell fake Vancouver Island perforations?

BeeSee in BC
Edited by BeeSee - 01/10/2017 11:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee..I got them from a private reputable collector whos credentials are well know...Thats all I ws trying to say..If I told you his name..you probably would say sorry...I take that back...haha

But we are getting off course..I will let BNAPS reply to see what they think.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5463 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:52 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't doubt your word on who you got them from; I am commenting ONLY on City Stamp Montreal, which you mentioned in the same phrase.

BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4958 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh..just that he was one of a handful of outside expertise..thats al.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   1:55 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, I would not be too quick in condemning these stamps. Double strikes are known to exist and are legitimate. At the Greene Foundation we are pleased to have the original OHMS research file assembled by Jon Johnson & Gary Tomasson (the authors of the PERFIN HANDBOOK found on the BNAPS website) for the BNAPS Perfin Study Group.. Next time you visit the Greene Foundation (phone to let me know you are coming) you should bring these stamps and we can compare them with the original die proofs. You may very well get a pleasant surprise.
GJP
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4352 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

In the past, I have had several of the Wrigley's Catalogue of Canadian perfin official stamps. Here is a scan of the cover of oneI still have in my library.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Very rare set of the 1949-50 Coat of Arms
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Scott 498 - different colours..??
  Minnesota Stamp Expo
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Morocco Page not Usually seen in Big Blue
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98

Full Iran sheet you won't see very often
  My Australian Oddities
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  Help identifying a Scott 499 or 500?
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  Precancel prices vs. Scott
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Things you Probably Won't Find at Dealer Tables
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Something strange on the back of this pair of revenue stamps
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  What is normal practice for reopening lots in a live auction?
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  What you like to see on US Stamps that has not been done yet
  Advertising Pages from 1907 Scott
  Which stamp do you wish having that you don't have?
  Papua and New Guinea : On Steiner Pages.
  Is this considered offset on back of this stamp..?
  Mounting Stamps
  Now this is one seriously red stamp
  Stamp Pricing Books and Websites
  Automatic Supplements
  I wonder if this item is never hinged?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05