Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Breaking Up U.S. Plate Blocks to Get a Nice Single  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Do any of you sometimes break up a plate block (carefully!) in order to obtain a really nice MNH single? Is doing that a philatelic no-no?

I am thinking that doing that might be the best way to get the stamps that I seek: well-centered, MNH singles with full, clean perfs and no defects of any kind (incl. fingerprints on the gum). For most of the stamps I buy, the plate blocks don't cost a whole lot more than the single stamp.

Comments?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not generally, but I broke up a block of 4 Scott #620 once. They were all nice and I kept one for my collection and sold the other 3. I have sometimes used post 1950's plate blocks for singles and rest for postage. I think it is up to you to decide what to do with your stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page

regards, TR
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the old days, you would often see a block of stamps offered at auction.

First, they would auction the individual stamps.

Then, they would auction the intact block.

Highest bid total won.

Harder to do these days because of automation: the software is written for individual lots, and conditional combinations would require a whole 'nother layer of effort when there are plenty of other things to be done.

That having been said, there is a lot of (well-justified IMHO) (okay, IMO) anger directed towards jumbos, to wit:

{google} jumbo site:www.stampcommunity.org

Q/ You can't find someone to swap a nice plate block for a nicer single?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would never break up a valuable or rare block or plate block in order to get a nice single, "jumbo" or otherwise.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2271 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As most modern blocks have no particular value, why not break them up? The mutilation of imperforated blocks is a different matter, and should lead to a spell in the stocks.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen numerous auction descriptions for very expensive stamps which read, " PF certificate for the original strip of four from which this pair was taken." breaking up a common plate-block seem trivial in comparison.
Edited by alub - 01/12/2017 2:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I break them up all the time and use them for postage, actually save pennies. Ex. Bought a block of four #1758 for $.40, kept the best off the four and used the other three with a 2 center and saved 15 cents paying a bill which I refuse to pay online. Every penny is critical for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3665 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Common ones are not a problem, but the grading craze has led to many scarce and even rare multiples being broken, including plate blocks.
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vfstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just pondering this same issue. I have this nice block with a light HR straddling the upper two, but the bottom two are clean NH.

I'll likely send it to Maresch/Sparks/Eastern, (I don't collect mint) and I doubt they'd break it up...

The whole "breaking up" concept doesn't really make much logical sense to me, but I know it's often done.

My conclusion is.. where strips/blocks are less common (say, I dunno... the First Cents issue), always leave them alone. For used, ditto.

For Mints that are commonly seen in Blocks (Jubilees, Admirals), breaking them apart to produce some NH copies seems reasonable.

A more experienced member might be able to comment on this, and whether it would make sense for my own block.

Edited by vfstamp - 01/15/2017 12:53 pm
Valued Member
Canada
436 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vfstamp, you do not need an experienced member........you have responded to your question, since you do not do "mint"

Since I collect everything, I would keep the block intact, having no intention to sell my stamps at this time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The whole idea of breaking up perfectly nice blocks to obtain one "perfect" single is reprehensible. I'll be happier once this crazy fad is over.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DuncanDoenitz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I participated in breaking up a nice plate block of US Scott #635a - Jim Griffith out in Sunnyvale California collects high grade MNH US stamps (and posts images of his collection online on his own beautiful custom album pages) and he wanted a single from the block. He wasn't particularly interested in the color variety, but I was. So he bid on the block and we split it. The image of the intact block still serves to confirm the color.
Edited by DuncanDoenitz - 01/15/2017 4:17 pm
Valued Member
Canada
436 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice to see a scanned pic of what one is talking about......Scott 635a maybe ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
534 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As others have pointed out on previous threads about this subject, and likely not relevant to modern blocks ....

Perhaps 30 years from now after all the beautiful classic plate blocks and multiples are broken up, and the supply wanes to nonexistent, such as the beautiful 15c Canadian shown above, then the price of these plate blocks and multiples will skyrocket... I may be dreaming?
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DuncanDoenitz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The US #635a mentioned earlier...

As noted, this block was Mint Never Hinged and nicely centered and a nice example of the bright violet color variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The whole idea of breaking up perfectly nice blocks to obtain one "perfect" single is reprehensible. I'll be happier once this crazy fad is over.

Jack Kelley

What is wrong with doing what I did? If I can save money using older stamps why not?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Whats in your Library?
  Stamp Smarter June Contest
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  Scott 1700a or 1700e

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05