Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fluorescent Paper, How To Tell?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 6,512Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1995 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have some Sweden stamps and am using an album with separate spaces for fluorescent and regular paper stamps. I don't have a UV light. Is there some way to tell which is which? I just do not see the difference with my naked eye. Is there any?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, there is not. That is why they make UV lights. A cheap light is offered by http://uvtools.com . This unit is sold by many other outlets but usually much more expensive.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps,

Look on eBay. You can find some cheaper ones there. I saw one where girls use a lamp to dry their fingernails for less than $7-. But most of the UV lamps look like their going for about $25-.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1995 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   09:08 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for replies.

I also collect Great Britain. The phosphor lines on some issues are visible if the stamp is held at an angle under a light. I suspect my Swedish stamps are printed on paper that has the material mixed in during its manufacture.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct - hence the name fluorescent paper. And you are also correct that sometimes you can actually see the fluorescence, but this is at best difficult. On stamps that have the tagging applied in lines as you mentioned above or like here in the US as a block you might see it but not as a rule.
As mentioned in earlier posts, you will need a light. Here in the States you need a short wave UV light for tagging, and a long wave UV light for paper varieties. The uvtools portable light mentioned above comes with both bulbs.

Peter
Valued Member
Austria
208 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried an one Euro Chinese UV keyfob for testing banknotes - and it's working quite perfect on German fluorencent stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK. What is a keyfob?

Peter
Valued Member
Austria
208 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry ... key chain ... key tag?
Mine is looking just like this one

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 01/19/2017   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for raising this topic as it was something that I was meaning to do.
I use an LED 'torch' type which works fine and I quickly went through my collection and found some surprises including a 1961 Michel 481 pair on the rare trial 'gold fleck' paper and a 338Ay 1kr 40 (1968) which is also another really difficult stamp to find.

This UV torch also has no issue showing yellow/white/blue fluorescence on later issues.
Edited by AnthonyUK - 01/19/2017 08:22 am
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add igopp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another convenient tool - it helps with fluorescent paper and also with other diagnostic needs.
It is small digital microscope that is conveniently clipping to smart phone for instant image view or capture: "Beileshi 60x Zoom Microscope Magnifier LED + Uv Light Clip-on" ( Amazon ~$8.00).
Microscope is equipped with two LED light sources: White and UV.
I have three images attached: German stamps in normal light and images taken by smart phone with attached microscope in UV light. Last image shows green fluorescent paper.
I also use the same microscope for paper type diagnostic (for example Normal paper vs. Coated)

2 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Davey50 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding Swedish fluorescent paper. Scott provides no information on paper types. If you have Lighthouse Swedish pages, they will provide one spot for "fluorescent" and one spot for "ordinary." However, several of these stamps have three types:

1. Bright, yellow fluorescence
2. Dull, whitish fluorescence
3. No fluorescence

If you examine your stamps under short-wave UV, the yellow fluorescence stands out like a beacon. The dull, whitish fluorescence can be more difficult to see, but becomes apparent when compared to a stamp with ordinary paper.
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UV light have different wave lengh, you can't just buy anything.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope to bump this topic instead of starting a new one.

I want a light that will help me identify Danish and Swedish fluorescent types. Is there a recommendation? I read the info on "long wave" and "short wave" lights and want to make sure I purchase the right kind.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would help if you can find out the wavelenghts of the tagging used in the countries you are interested in.
Here in the States short wave is used for tagging, long wave for paper brighteners,

Peter
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an article explaining Scandanavian tagging:
https://www.jaysmith.com/Resource/A...escence.html
Looks like you may need long wave for Swedish stamps.

I would also like to add that you can make your own longwave lamp. I bought a standard 17 inch long BLB UV bulb at a home center and inserted it into a standard 17 inch fluorescent fixture. It produces a much brighter light than anything you can buy from a stamp supply house.

The bulb needs to be a BLB, not a BL. You don't want the bulb to put out any visible light.
Edited by Germania - 04/22/2021 2:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 6,512Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05