Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet Bundle In Late Father's Storage. I Know Nothing About Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,702Next Topic  
2 Posts
Posted 01/23/2017   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add snuson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there.

I was rifling around through some of my father's storage boxes to find some documents pertaining to his will. (He passed in 2012 but having to revisit his will... long story.)

I stumbled upon a sealed bundle of 20 of the 2003 Old Glory booklets. He used to work for the USPS, so none of us kids ever thought anything of the massive bundles of stamps he had. Sadly, I couldn't find any more bundles in the storage I have.

I know nothing about stamps. I'm not looking to sell them. I just wanted to know if it's a worthy investment to put away for safe keeping.

Hopefully the image upload works so you can see what I mean,

Thanks in advance all.
Send note to Staff
Edited by snuson - 01/23/2017 6:14 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 01/23/2017   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/23/2017   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Generally speaking, stamps, or any other collectibles, do not make good investments.
Edited by paul78703 - 01/23/2017 10:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't look at eBay from where I am - are they saying 1 booklet is $8? I can't believe a bundle of 20 is that cheap.
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   09:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, $8 each
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But $8 is an asking price. "Sold" listings are as low as $5/booklet.

These are $0.37 stamps so the user has to add $0.12 in other stamps to make up the current $0.49 first class rate. Millions if not billions of these booklets were printed. Consequently many people use these for postage on their own, or even donate them to a charity that does many mailings and has volunteers to apply the stamps plus $0.12 in other postage. Or sell them to a stamp dealer who will pay only a deep discount off of face value. No gold mine here, unfortunately and it may take many months to dispose of them if you sell on eBay.
2 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snuson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info everyone.

Yeah, I didn't expect to be sitting on a goldmine, lol. But I really do appreciate the replies. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheRebel1861 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Put them up on eBay as 1 lot as you'd probably get more money than if you broke the set up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 01/24/2017   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the total face value of the whole stack is $148, they'd probably sell as a lot in the $100-$110 range (around 70-75% of face value) on eBay. That's to someone who will actually use them for postage. If you sell to a dealer who has an eye toward resale, they'd probably pay half face value or less.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,702Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05