Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suggestions To USPS To Encourage Collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,568Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I was organizing my US stamps, I had a few thoughts on why collecting stamps can be a hassle.

The USPS obviously is trying to push collecting by mint sheets given die cutting and ability to reliably soak. They should actually try to encourage it.

Sheets should generally be issued in a few standard sizes and the size should fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 page.

For example, the NY Stamp show folio is way too big-- I will also mention it is bad design in my opinion. The Classics Forever is a better example. I would hardly call it a keepsake design.

The Moon stamp is very rectangular (almost 8 inches) and usually must be rotated. There is no design reason why it should be designed this way. The Jaime Escalante is too big as well given the jumbo size.

Having fewer sheet sizes also means you do not have to buy 20 different mount sizes to mount them. You can look at the Prinz mount list and it shows the lack of thought behind these.

The stamps per sheet could also be reduced for higher than first class rate issues. Express mail stamps would obviously be smaller. The Columbia River Gorge could be in a block of 4 for that value and doubt they are actually used for their intended use.

The ability to store them in some coherent manner would like encourage more to save.
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 01/25/2017 10:00 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
663 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the USPS really values stamp collectors even though they make a lot of money of stamp collecting.

One strong indicator to me is the low interest in stamp collector display by the PM and workers at my local post office. It's almost like they deliberately go out of their way to discourage collecting activities.

Maybe its their way of getting even with the USPS administration by screwing around with collectors. Anyway, you have good, logical, well thought out ideas. Thanks for offering them up for comment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why anyone bothers to collect new issues. They are not beautiful, and there are way too many of them. They end up being, for the most part, meaningless stickers. Almost anyone or anything can be on a stamp nowadays. And how many hundreds of flag stamps do we have to endure?

Trying to keep up with new issues is what soured me on collecting back in 2000. Only now am I beginning again. Now I collect only up to 1985.
Edited by paul78703 - 01/25/2017 7:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The modern issues are hit or miss for me but then if you really think about it there are a lot of duds in the 50's and 60's. The engraving adds some aspect but many dull busy designs. Yes too much pop culture and set issues (Chinese NY, etc). I just wish some of the landscape series like the Columbia River Gorge either had a more realistic style and possibly engraved. For $24 a pop, they could spend a little.

The 2016 National Parks set was ok but poorly done. I liked the airmail series..ST John's Bay, etc.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/25/2017 5:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore: I would agree that the USPS had some commemoratives in the 20th Century that were, shall we say, lacking in distinction. But there were so many wonderful engraved stamps! The national parks issues of 1934, the 1935 commemoratives, the 1936 Army-Navy war heroes, the Prexies, the Famous American series, the overrun countries, the Liberty series, the American credo series, etc. Now, it is hard to find any person or thing of any note that is not on a U.S. stamp. Star Wars, Star Trek, Disney, Harry Potter, etc. Ugh! Being recognized on a stamp is not what it used to be.
Edited by paul78703 - 01/25/2017 7:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1948 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gee, I thought it was just me. I still very reluctantly collect the stamps of today. I make my annual purchases about this time of the year, put them in the new supplement, and then forget them. I hate them, but I can't stop! It was so much nicer in the old days.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having fewer sheet sizes also means you do not have to buy 20 different mount sizes to mount them.

Vario 1-pocket clear (1C) pages work nicely as a solution for this. I put the sheets in a 1c page and overlay them directly over the album page. The sheets actually do a pretty good job of staying put within the Vario page if you center them over where they're supposed to go on the album page. I only have one size to buy and they're available for under $1 each in packs of 25 or more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3088 Posts
Posted 01/25/2017   11:37 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Express mail stamps would obviously be smaller. The Columbia River Gorge could be in a block of 4 for that value

The new $23.75 Gateway Arch is reportedly in a pane of 4.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
Posted 01/26/2017   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Vario 1-pocket clear (1C) pages work nicely as a solution for this. I put the sheets in a 1c page and overlay them directly over the album page. The sheets actually do a pretty good job of staying put within the Vario page if you center them over where they're supposed to go on the album page. I only have one size to buy and they're available for under $1 each in packs of 25 or more.

This is how I had most of my sheets - except in black versions for the same cost reasons and I now have them in protective sleeves with backing inserts for text.

I have plenty of mounts and for a while can mount 80% without buying new mounts. I ended up with trying my new method after deciding to TRY to abandon singles since self-adhesives make it more than a pain. I like to create pages so this is my experiment this year.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05