Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 208 / Views: 32,694Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks txstamp. I will incorporate those Mark's into the database.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2423 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   08:51 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this strip as a probable 12-13-14R3. What do others think?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Winston - your strip is 14-15-16L2.

Note the broken oval on 14L2 below STAG per the Neinken mat.

16L2 also has the short ornament N, we discussed here:
http://goscf.com/t/56958&whichpage=7#571261
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2423 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot! I have to agree. No wonder it didn't really have the Plate 3 look. Thanks for the help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 05/09/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice copy of 23R3 (curl over C). The dark mark in Franklin's hair is a scanning artifact.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 05/11/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dudley - nice find!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this to be 97L3, based on the Doporto image archive and the Neinken diagram of the Warner Strip (97-98-99L3) in his book. A couple of the vertical cracks extending into the bottom margin are clearly visible.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By coincidence, I still have my 97L3.

http://goscf.com/t/52774&whichpage=3#460827

I recall that it has a vertical crack which arcs slightly off to the left - from the mid to lower left side of the design up and slightly left (in left margin). That was a key signature of this position. It can be very very light and hard to see on some copies.

I know my scan at the link is not good quality, and I don't have time right now to study the stamp, but if it doesn't help confirm, I'll look later. The 97L3's I've seen have all shown the crack I mention - even if only slightly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with your plating. Nice find!

Yours shows the crack at bottom below C well.
Yours also shows the left margin crack.

Yours appears to be the dark prussian blue shade of late 1856.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For many years, there had been 3 recorded unused blocks from Plate 3.

- The Armitage block of 8
- A block of 4 which used to be attached to the Armitage block
- Another block of 4.

Not too many years ago, a fourth block surfaced at a smaller auction company.
This block was 89-90/99-100L3 showing the centerline, at least on pos 100L.

Well, we are now back to 3 known unused blocks.

Note this 100L3 in Siegel sale 1232, lot 1069:
https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...232-lot-1069

I have a scan of the 4th (former) block, and I can say that I'm positive that this 100L3 came from it, and, obviously destroyed the entire block for this single graded stamp.

I would post the scan, but I do not have permission to post the one I was given.
If I can find the original auction listing scan, I will share it. Might have been Dutch Country? Not sure. A number of years back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AARGH!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was the block - 89-100L3.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2365 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From some information received, it sounds like the block may have been broken up during or slightly before 2011.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also cleaned and right margin reduced to eliminate tear (and also center line).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
922 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... how did they get the toned areas to disappear ?
Looks so clean now
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 208 / Views: 32,694Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05