Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Offer Accepted But At What Price?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,220Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1572 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   9:05 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How many times have you seen this and wondered what offer was accepted?

During the course of looking at data for my other posts I noticed eBay actually keeps the sale price but it's hidden.

By using the data range you can find the actual selling price, here I look for all sales over $125,000 and the auction is not shown indicating the offer that was accepted was lower than $125,000.

After a few iterations I pin it down and we see that this collection sold for $95,000.

I think this is a useful trick if you are doing market research or trying to determine how much to offer for a stamp or collection.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks KRelyea!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
regards, TR
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2764 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   10:56 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wouldn't that only work for a case like this where there is only 1 really high priced lot that was sold with a best offer? As soon as you have more than one in the range would you still be able to nail it down? or could you still do it, but with more work?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1572 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   11:03 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It works for any price item but when there are more items in the range the result screen shows more items and it's a little harder to check that the target item is still there. My 1st effort was an unused $1 Trans Mississippi and there were several other stamps near it in price but the methodology wotked fine.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why the heck can't eBay just put the selling price.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
574 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's an even easier way. Go to http://www.watchcount.com/, enter the lot number (291802065412) in the keyword field, and click "show me what's most popular". You'll get a page with a "price may be shown here on eBay" link. That usually works to show the best offer price (it worked with the Nobelspirit lot mentioned above).

It's a very nice back door, although I hesitate even mentioning it because I'm sure eBay would quickly close the loophole if they found out (SHHHHH!!, LOL)
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   09:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why does the bid history show them not accepting much, much higher offers then they eventually accepted?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
574 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the consignor knows a $165,000 offer was rejected! If Noblespirit was communicating offers to the consignor, then maybe it was the consignor who rejected the earlier offers, only to change their mind and accept something lower later on...
Edited by srailkb - 01/30/2017 09:22 am
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   09:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that would anger me if I was them, that's a big change in the consignment fee. You would think that they would have discussed the possibility of lower offers up front.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1572 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   12:07 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to totally confuse the discussion it appears the item has been relisted!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why the heck can't eBay just put the selling price.

If a seller had a lot of sales via best offer, having eBay show the accepted best offer prices could be detrimental to future selling prices. For example, if people can just look and see that the seller regularly accepts 50% of the asking price, people will just start making their offers around that mark, whereas many would otherwise start off offering at much higher prices than that. That's my theory, anyway.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheRebel1861 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's crazy! In that case my entire collection is for sale @ $94,999.99 and not a penny more, LOL.
Edited by TheRebel1861 - 01/30/2017 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Man, back when eBay first came out, things were a lot more transparent. I don't really care for the direction it has taken on hiding a lot of things.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
465 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the Delcampe selling site, there is a place where you can actually view the sellers policy on accepting a lower price. Not all offer this option, and many use it only on the Fixed Price Sale after an Auction listing has not sold. On the item description page, tat the right edge, there is an invitation to "Make a Lower Price" or "Make a group offer", and when you click, you get a pop-up as follows.

I have used this feature on a number of purchases and have never been declined. I've seen sellers who offer as much as a 50% discount !!

I have also seen at least one seller who uses this feature on their Delcampe listings but do not include the "Make Offer" option on the same item on eBay.
Edited by mml1942 - 01/30/2017 4:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Make a group offer",

Now this is something I wish eBay would do. You could be looking at 10 items from the same seller, but on eBay you have to submit a best offer for each item separately. It would be nice if you could add all 10 items to your cart and then submit 1 offer. That way the seller could see at a glance the total value I'm interested in buying plus it would be simpler for both buyer and seller.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They may have accepted the offer and the buyer didnt pay, the whole best offer system isnt good in my opinion but I do like nowdays if someone makes an offer in the ask a question you can send them an offer for what they are asking for.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,220Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05