Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Scott #5052 Perforation Variations

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,202Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
644 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone have information about the two different styles of perforations for this stamp?

thanks

Joe

US Scott #5052 Perforation variations
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joe, those are die cuts, not perforations. And they are the same on both stamps - the stamp on the left was cut too high hence the die cut variety known as the "cobra cut". The stamp is really supposed to be cut in the middle of the slanted area, the stamp on the right is cut correctly.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/11/2017 3:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
644 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks

joe
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2976 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know many look at the corners (peak/valley) of die cut stamps since they vary but outside my interest unless it is a significant indicator of a more important difference.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alub,

Here's some more info regarding this stamp...
It seems that there were two producers of this stamp, actually three.
Ashton Potter with die cutting about 9.5 and a straight section above and below the die cutting.The Plate numbers on these stamps was P11111
Then there were the Sennett and BCA versions. They both look to have similar dies cutting as the stamps you show.The Sennett version has plate # S11111 on the PNC stamps. The BCA version has B11111 on the PNC stamps.
I had read that there might be small differences between the Sennett and BCA versions including in the die cutting. So perhaps you have one stamp from Sennett and one from BCA?
I have copies of the PNC from each of these - Sennett and BCA, and they both look the same to me, except for the different plate #s.

I don't have a Scott Specialized catalog new enough to list these stamps. They are Scott # 5052. Perhaps the catalog will list some difference like one may e die cut 11.0 and one die cut 11.1 - I don't know.
But I have a question about the Scott #. I believe the Sennett version was produced first and was assigned # 5052, then the BCA stamp came out. I'm not sure of the Scott # for the BCA version.
Can someone check a recent edition of Scott catalog and tell me the correct Scott #s for the Sennett and BCA versions?

I believe that Linn's Stamp News had an article about the BCA version in their Aug 2016 issue. I've seen a report to that effect, but I don't have access to that issue to follow up and have not had any luck accessing it on line.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's two stamps look like they have the same diecut. But three different Flags were issued in 2016, Scott 5052, Scott 5053 and Scott 5054

Peter
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott lists 4 numbers for this stamp. There is 5052 to 5055. There is a die cut 9.5 and 11. Then there are 2 booklet stamps that are die cut 11.25 x 10.75 and vary in where the microprinting is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does Scott have a note under 5052 that it was produced by two different companies? Because there are 3 different coil stamps of this issue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldtriguy, this is complicated. The first one of these stamps was printed by Ashton Potter: Plate number P11111
Later that year a second version appeared with Plate number S11111 - printed by Sennett Security Printers. Still later in 2016 these SSP stamps were reprinted by Banknote Corporation of America, hence Plate number B11111

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does Scott give a separate listing (Scott #) or note about the BCA reprint?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention that I believe SSP and BCA are now the same company and the only difference in the two 2016 flag versions are the plate numbers' I do not have an updated ( newer ) Scott catalog

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both the SSP & BCA versions are listed as 5052, which makes sense as I think both were produced on the same equipment, just an ownership change that resulted in a different place number prefix.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok wow. It just seems awkward that in my PNC singles album I'll have two different stamps with the same Scott #.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me that is awkward as well. At least the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club ( PNC3 ) differentiates between them.
The BCA coil has catalog # 2016-7, the AP coil is 2016-3
If wondering about this numbering system - all coils are numbered by the year and order of issuance

Peter
United States
4 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add union63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Scott Specialized (2019) there are four listings for this flag design A3887, two coils and two booklets. The coils are supposed to be P11 (#5052; microprinting to right of pole) and P9.5 (#5053; microprinting on 2nd white stripe). I have a postcard with a P9.5 coil, but the microprinting is not on the 2nd white stripe; it's to the right of the pole. Is this a variety of #5053? Has anyone seen this before?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,202Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05