Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Scott #5052 Perforation Variations

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,204Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Leave out the booklet, there are three (3) coils. Scott 5053, P11111 with microprint on the white stripe; Scott 5052, S11111 with microprint right of the pole and Scott 5052, B11111 also with microprint right of the pole. The last two are exactly the same because they were printed by the same printer ( who changed owners during this job ).
Scott does not differentiate between the B11111 and the S11111 because they were basically the same except for the plate number

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 12/15/2020 10:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1213 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To muddy the issue some more, counterfeits of both coils exist.
Added: My new 2021 Scott shows one counterfeit for 5052 and 7 different counterfeits for 5053. Since most counterfeits are untagged, you might check the tagging if you have a UV lamp.
Edited by JLLebbert - 12/16/2020 01:17 am
United States
4 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add union63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sincerst thanks to Peter and JLL for taking the time to respond.

JLL: I don't have a UV lamp, so I won't be able to follow up on the counterfeit issue your raised.

Peter: Perhaps I misunderstood your discussion of plate numbers and printers. You describe coils with PNs B11111 and the S11111 as being identical #5052 stamps, which would be P11 coils. But the stamp I asked about is P9.5, which, therefore, cannot be #5052. On the other hand, Scott lists a P9.5 coil only as #5053, but it says the microprinting is on the 2nd white stripe rather than to the right of the pole. So, I seem to be left with the same issue: Is my P9.5 stamp a variety of #5053?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Union, I only gave you the facts. Scott is correct, and I believe so am I. Do you have a 2021 Scott catalog? It lists the counterfeit stamps and you may very well have one of those.
One note. You may have to redo your checking of the die cuts. The two different 5052's have a 13 x 13 PV die cut. The 5053's die cut is 10 x 10 PV. Also, the stamps do not have any varieties that affect the die cut gauging.
You might like to check the PNC3 website at www.PNC3.org

Peter

United States
4 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add union63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter: Thanks again. I do have a Scott 2021 coming as a Christmas gift. I'll check the counterfeits listed there, as you suggested.

I've never used the PNC3 website, so I'll do that too.

Best regards, Union63
United States
4 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add union63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter:

I'm about to show my ignorance, but time to learn, right? You used the phrases "13 x 13 PV" and "10 x 10 PV" to describe die cuts on coils. What do these mean? My guess is they are perf measurements on L and R of perf-vertical coils, right? By the way, I simply use a standard transparent, multi-gauge to measure the "perfs" on die cut stamps. Is that a bad idea?

Best regards, Union63
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/16/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I do not believe there is a difference in die cut and regular gauges. Personally I do not collect stuff after the 90's any more - too much wallpaper. PV means Peak Valley and is used to indicate how perforations start on a stamp. I do not think this indication is very important on the stamps at hand - I just copied the PNC3 catalog pages

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1213 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
union63: Since your stamp has microprinting to the right of the flagpole, you must have some form of 5052. The 2021 Scott shows only one known counterfeit that has very crude die-cuts with gauge in the 4 to 5 range ... nowhere near 9.5. The 5053 counterfeits either have some form of microprinting on the 2nd white stripe or no microprint at all. My best guess is that you may have an unreported 5052 counterfeit. Can you show us a scan or photo of your stamp? If it proves to be an unreported counterfeit, you may want to consider sending it to someone at Scott or Linn's for verification.
Incidentally, when you receive your 2021 catalog, you'll find the 5052-5053 counterfeits on page 1036.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,204Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05