Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Scott Minuteman Album Supplement

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

138 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrEos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This year's supplement has 11 pages and spots for 138 postage stamps (plus another page for the duck stamp).

The supplement also includes 4 pages to make changes to the 2015 supplement, adding spots for re-dated Medals of Honors for example. One of replacement pages removes the 2015-dated Ferns, leaving spaces for just the 2014-dated versions (that were issued in 2015) I kept the original page for that. Really not sure what's going on with those. Very confusing change.

With the stamps I saved from mail over the year, I filled 102 of the spots (74%). That beats my score from 2015 and 2014.

I have one 2017 stamp... so I'm in this for another year! Hopefully no Ferns this year.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"With the stamps I saved from mail over the year, I filled 102 of the spots (74%)."

It boggles the mind.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by paul78703 - 02/12/2017 5:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2430 Posts
Posted 02/12/2017   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not get a lot of mail so not likely to fill that many spots.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 02/12/2017   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think getting 74% in the mail is amazing. I got very little new stamps.
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/22/2017   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I relied solely on personal mail addressed to me, I'd probably only get 6. I have my moles in the office that save stamps for me, and I'm the membership director for a car club which generates quite a few stamps when folks send their dues. Getting the priority & express mail stamps usually involves sending a package to someone ( eBay sale, for example) and asking them to return the stamps in a SASE - so far, only one buyer declined to return them - turns out he was a collector too - but he sent some other stamps back to make up for it. :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1583 Posts
Posted 02/22/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So many stamps. Its killing the hobby. But the real question begs itself - How many collectors collect USED copies of these stamps? Amazing; and for the most part I think; Unique. Congratulations MrEos.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2430 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I see, USPS does not want people collecting used stamps. By having stamps that do not soak, this tells you a lot. To collect a mint booklet stamp, you have to buy an entire booklet and then remove the ones around it. It is hard to separate an die cut stamps where the die cuts do not go through the backing. They want them to collect Mint sheets.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
519 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One cannot collect modern used stamps without access to a place that still gets a significant amount of mail. The problem is not only the massive amount of stamps issued by the post office. Other problems include

1. Issues like the classic forever stamps, Scott #5079 which were never issued to the Post Office, so only philatelists used them.

2. The modern cancellation often obliterate the stamp, especially the Christmas cancel. So I have to sort through many stamps to find one that is still visually appealing.

3. The machinery that processes mail often stags the stamps. This usually results in a "perf" ripped off, and tearing well into the design.

Joe
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS is making it very difficult to be a collector of modern U.S. stamps. I had always had jobs since about 1967 where I had access to many stamped letters being received each day so it was fairly simple for me to get a decent amount of used stamps. Once I retired in 2006 I was able to keep up by using stamps as postage on eBay sales, provide a SASE and ask the buyer to return the stamps if they didn't collect. At least 50 % of the buyers would return the stamps.

In the last 6 months or so I have had trouble even finding recent stamps at local post offices. Every time I drive past a different one I stop to see what they have but results are poor.

If they do have stamps they want you to buy a whole sheet of the design. I was told last week to look for a small local post office and they would normally tear a sheet apart and sell whatever amount you wanted. She had the new JFK stamp that was released the 20th and she did sell me 4 stamps.

All in all I'm about ready to give up with modern U. S. stamps. Seems like the USPS can't even get Philatelic out when due anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1583 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am disgusted with it as well. I have the MYSTIC 2016 supplement and also the stamps as well. I just feel so unmotivated that I am unable to mount the stamps and put them in the album. I am hoping inspiration will strike and motivate me!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2430 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume Scott thinks price is more important the maintaining quality to buyers due to rising costs or more profit. I can see a budget entry album but expect a Scott National buyer would not like lower quality.
Al
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 02/23/2017   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Issues like the classic forever stamps, Scott #5079 which were never issued to the Post Office, so only philatelists used them.

I just bought these yesterday at my local post office. Is this an anomaly or maybe the guy who does the ordering is a collector??? This office always has the latest stamps and more variety than the other PO in my area.

Quote:
2. The modern cancellation often obliterate the stamp, especially the Christmas cancel. So I have to sort through many stamps to find one that is still visually appealing.

Yep. And the ink smears if you use the 'pure citrus' method of removing stamp from paper and let them soak too long.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 02/24/2017   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add diane to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there is talk about USPS issuing a few stamps with gum (the original way) in the next few years. new stamps are just like anything you buy out there, technology comes along and every changes, but sometimes the old ways were either just fine or better.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1583 Posts
Posted 02/24/2017   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Worse than that, Mr Eos. Used properly, Pure Citrus will REMOVE the callcellation!

Jack Kelley
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05