Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Organize Your Stamp Collection?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4343 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GMOT ----Nice binders !! Those binders look great but are too expensive for me . Seen them on Amazon ,they come with a slip case for $38.00.

If I were to start again ,I wish I had Steiner Pages years ago . Here is how I would do it :

Buy a used set of Scott International ,after a few years of filling them. Then would throw away the binders and repunch the pages to fit a 3 ring notebook binder . Maybe even cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the pages to sit better in the binders . As the collection expands past the ability to hold the stamps without piling them on top of each other and the margins get filled with stuff . I would then {10 or 20 years later} merge in Steiner pages and discard the old Scott pages .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! What's a good source for Steiner pages?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
914 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vote me in as a Steiner fan. I know there are those who dislike them because they follow Scott numbering. I look at them more as of a template to work off of though. Some pages I use as they are, and some I will redesign, to fit what I am collecting, using AlbumEasy.

My binders of choice are inexpensive 1", 3-ring binders from Walmart. Yes, they are cheap, and if I had the money I'm sure I wold opt for better looking binders, but I would rather put my hobby money into stamps first and foremost.
Valued Member
Canada
388 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Floortrader, I got the binders with slipcase here in Canada for $30 CAD each, I thought that was pretty good. Of course there's lots cheaper out there, they just don't look good (to me).

I'm basically in that process you describe, moving out bulk of the WW collection from my old Scott International pages/binders - many of them pretty beaten up and the pages yellowed - onto my modified Steiner pages with mounts. I did a detailed and quite boring analysis comparing all the options and that approach was the winner. A very long-term project of course...

@Bud, you can buy them off Steiner's website and download the PDFs from there. www.stampalbums.com
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4226 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Each to his/her own. I wouldn't go near Steiner because of the Scott system, which is used nowhere else in the world. And the look of the pages is dull and functional. Useful for stamp sizes, though. I have preprinted albums/pages for some countries, and the odd fastbound printed album. But still much prefer quadrille, fountain pen and ink. I use lots of different binders - springback, four-ring etc, I occasionally indulge in black quadrille, which looks great with older stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6394 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bud: >>>Thanks! What's a good source for Steiner pages?<<<

You buy the program and print these yourself

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I'm kinda slow and cannot find a link to Steiner pages anywhere. Got a site?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @gmot and all. Got it!
Valued Member
Spain
121 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My System
- COLLECTIONS
In classifiers and albums in alphabetical order.
The classifiers with a paper on the outside of each band with 10 Michel numbers (10 stamps per band) which I cross out when I get them.
As an album I use folders with any number of rings because I use plastic covers with many holes and place one on either side of the leaves that I make myself.
When I completed a year or a series or another group that expert me to make a sheet, I make ir myself.
The commercial sheets do not have that space for the stamps in strip or B4 nor for beautiful envelopes or scraps with special cancellations that I like to mount when I find.
The blocks go to the end of the classifier with their own numbering.

-DUPLICATES
Sorted by catalog code into rows within cigar boxes, which do not receive light and absorb moisture.
If I have many from the same country, one or two boxes for them alone, if I have few, in a box taking as reference the continent or the geographical/political zone of the country.

Those that are still to be cataloged remain in envelopes with the name of each country.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1439 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Classical era Steiner pages (1840-1940 WW; -1952 British Commonwealth) housed in Vario F & G Binders and one Palo Binder

I went with Steiner pages (6,500 pages for the classical era) in 2011 when I started a WW collection in earnest. It scales well, and I have no regrets. Since Steiner follows the Scott catalogue (For better or for worse, depending on one's point of view - I happen to think for the better), all the major Scott numbers have a space in Steiner - easy to figure out where the stamp goes despite the lack of illustrations. Because of the ~83,000+ spaces offered in Steiner for the classical era, it is probably better to already have some 20,000 stamps, so the Steiner pages don't look too empty.

Currently, I have some 50,000 spaces filled.

Initially, I had the collection in Avery binders, but using Vario F & G binders does dress it up.

Steiner page - Egypt 1937-44

If you are considering something a bit more fancy, perhaps for part of your WW collection, Palo pages (which almost always follow the Steiner format) might be a consideration. But they are $$$.

For those that are interested, I did a comparison between Steiner and Palo for one of my blog posts.

"Upstairs, Downstairs: Palo & Steiner Stamp Album Pages"
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...r-stamp.html

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
Canada
388 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Jkjblue I'm actually moving from using Palo to modified Steiner for most of my collection, due to cost and ability to do my own modifications. Nothing against Palo, I like the quality of them very much and I greatly enjoy looking at my French Africa collection on those large pages (except it's hard to get the binders out of the slipcases).

How many pages typically fill up a Vario F binder in your collection? And what kind of paper do you use?

Re Scott numbering scheme, it seems as logical/illogical as SG and Yvert from what I've seen. Each has quirks (Scott separating out the semi-postals!), but living in North America it makes most sense. If I was in France, I'm sure I'd use Yvert and complain about that...
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My U.S. collection is currently in 20 Lighthouse three ring binders. Two green binders hold commemoratives from 1892 to the mid-1950s, two black binders hold definitive mint singles, booklet panes, and line pairs from 1902 to 1954, and two red binders hold back-of-book issues that include semi-postals, airmail, special delivery, registration, certified, postage due, parcel post postage due, offices in china, officials, postal note, newspaper, savings/postal savings/war savings, parcel post, special handling, motor vehicle, boating, and ducks. These are all sorted by Scott number in each category.

I also have 14 blue binders that hold my plate number coil collection. In that area, I collect a used (or occasionally mint) single, mint strips of 3 and 5, varieties (printing, tagging, number-on-number) mint imperf pairs, first day covers, and other interesting covers (untagged, imperf, etc.). I also have many plate blocks from the mid-20th century (but haven't mounted any of those yet) and others that are stored in various containers.

I design and print all of my own pages so I can collect my way. The pages are designed using Microsoft PowerPoint and printed on various colors of 110 lb. cardstock, paper reinforcements for the holes, mounts are Showgard or Scott.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman82, that is brilliant work. The others are terrific as well. Something to think about and aspire to create.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4343 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WALKMAN -Very nice binders and pages , thanks for showing them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1100 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What program(s) are you using to create your own pages?
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05