Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Organize Your Stamp Collection?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/18/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002, if that question was meant for me I use Microsoft Powerpoint to create the pages. It's extremely easy to use and I can create pages pretty quickly. Pages are mostly generated from templates and previous pages which I modify as needed. I've created about 700 pages so far with many more yet to be designed and printed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A question for people with the self-printed pages -- do you worry about paper quality?
There must be potential issues with poor paper quality making it easier for foxing to occur if the albums are then stored in a damp place.
I'm guessing that traditional stamps album paper was selected to be resistant to this problem.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2450 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the paper I use would not meet the purist definition of archival quality but have not been that impressed with earlier Scott and another brand of traditional pages on collections pages I have purchased. Storage (temp, humidity, light) trumps everything. It is not one of my top worries.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/19/2019 06:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1439 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How many pages typically fill up a Vario F binder in your collection? And what kind of paper do you use?

gmot - Vario F capacity: 100 pages (nice) to 140 pages (too full) for the 70 lb "acid free" paper I use.
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
Canada
388 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jkjblue - thanks, same weight as mine, good to know

@steevh - the older pre-printed albums in my possession have pretty cheap paper, nothing "archival" about them. Old Scott pages can yellow significantly over the years. New Lighthouse/Palo albums have nice, heavy paper, but again, there's nothing specifically archival about them from what I've read. If your stamps are stored exposed long-term to excessively varying conditions, it's not good, regardless of what paper they are on.

Edit - @walkman - great looking binders/pages - nice work!
Edited by gmot - 07/19/2019 6:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/19/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...sePaper.html for great explanation of album paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the Price for albums w/printed pages is a little out of my $$ boundary so I trek over to Staples & purchase a moderately priced 3-ring binder each year, a 1/4 ream of 65# card stock, a 200 count box of sheet protectors, and as needed Scott Mounts of various sizes. On a monthly basis I order a slew of new issues with appropriate FDC & DCP covers from the USPS Fulfillment Center, & at the end of the year the annual USPS Yearbook. I catalog all my acquisitions onto an Excel spreadsheet. I now have approximately 43 binders (some combined years), Annual Yearbooks back to 1979, A 3-drawer storage unit with duplicates, 4-stock books, a small WW Ambassador album from the late 50's, and a day & a half of enjoyment, thumbing through all the binders. I also have 23 PC albums of FDCs or special 'collectors' albums from when I didn't know better.
Valued Member
Ecuador
149 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
all machins to the shoe box/to envelopes Level 1 (color/number)/stockbook/album easy pages

for albumeasy, printed on standard cardboard
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Valued Member
54 Posts
Posted 07/23/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've elected to store my stamps in approval cards in old card catalogue boxes. (One day I hope to buy a cabinet when I have some more money at my disposal.) I appreciate the flexibility it gives to reorganize and move stamps around easily.

My stamps are divided into two topical collections, which I have organized by country and Michel catalogue number. I'm currently debating whether it's preferable to organize countries alphabetically, or by geographical region. If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them!
Edited by profgreeley - 07/23/2019 11:16 am
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect US from provisionals to the liberty series (1950s/1960s). I collect colors and varieties, and starting to get into non-philatelic covers. Commercial albums don't work for me, so I design my own pages with Adobe Indesign. The albums are organized by "era" corresponding to the major definitive issues with commemoratives and BOB stamps together with the right era. The stamps themselves are organized by issue, then denomination, and then by variety. I have a dozen pages for 3rd-Bureau Washington 2-cent stamps, for example, rather than sets for each perforation or watermark variety. I make spots for the stamps/varieties I know I want, but if I get something new or unexpected (which happens often), I redesign the page and remount all the stamps. This method has allowed me to expand my collection while keeping related material together.

I keep a spreadsheet of all my stamps with a record of where and when I bought it, costs, catalog value, certs, notes, etc. I keep certs in a separate box. Duplicates go in a stockbook to be sold off when it builds up. I also keep projects that haven't made the main albums on vario pages until I'm ready to create more pages. I seem to be different than most collectors in that I don't have a lot of extra unorganized stamps.
Edited by Philazilla - 07/24/2019 12:34 am
Valued Member
Belarus
26 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a thematic collector - the Olympic Games in a broader understanding (stamps with Juan Carlos I of Spain, the Princess Royal Anne, Albert II of Monaco, etc. all included ), and I constantly have to add previously issued stamps into my lists, after I have found a real athlete who are Olympians, depicted in them. It created lots of problems withg rearranging my materialn which double if you take into account all types of stationeries and entires that I collect, too

So I finnally have come top a quite simple solution - I arrange my collections mounted on A4 paper sheets in plastic office files in 4-ring binders (4 rings are better for preserving the files safe) alphabetically by countries and chronologically withing each country (the usual way for most of us). What is a bit different from the rest is that I use a separate page (pages) for every issue no matter how small it is (even if it contains just one stamp). Thus I have an opprtunity to add a FDC (when I get it), or the stamp on a cover, etc..
As each issue has its separate page I have an opprtunity to expand it unlimitedly (if a variety is found, or if I decide to add a block of 4 with some printing marks in the margins, or alike), without a necessity to re-arrange the pages - just add new sheets/files to the binder without changes the general order
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05