Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Stamp World History Going Away?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 4,923Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
1445 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jkjblue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been unable to reach Stamp World History website today.

www.stampworldhistory.com/

In fact, I've been concerned this past month, because the author, Gerben van Gelder from the Netherlands, has not responded to my emails, or inquiries on his site. We have communicated frequently in the past.

I fervently hope he is O.K.

For those that know about Stamp World History, the maps of countries that Gerben makes himself, as well as the in depth history discussion, are extremely valuable and irreplaceable.

It would be a tragedy if this creative information is in danger of being lost.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't reach the site either JKJ. I get a "Forbidden" error. I hope all is well with Gerben and perhaps the site is under maintenance.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
1445 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bee See -

I wish I could hope it is only a maintenance issue, but I'm worried it is more serious then that.

I know Gerben was getting treated for some serious health issues last March.

The fact that he always has been extremely responsive in the past to inquires, and he has not posted any country post updates since November 28, concerns me greatly.

He did not answer my email I sent him a month ago.

The last communication on his web site was about December 25, in response to a comment.
Valued Member
Denmark
435 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Until the site (hopefully) comes back online, you can access it via Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20161017031522/http://www.stampworldhistory.com/

Copy/paste the URL, don't click on it.
edit: looks like most of the images are not there
Edited by ClassicalStamps - 02/15/2017 1:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems all domains hosted on that specific server/IP return same error info. Could be just server misconfiguration, could be something much worse.

-k-
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

I sincerely hope all is well with Gerben's health as well.

Having said that, this is my concern with websites that have such invaluable information such as Gerben's, yours and many others. They could just disappear. That's why I prefer to have a good old fashion book in my hand I can take a 30-year old book off my bookshelf and still read it even though the author may have passed away and the publisher is out of business. I don't think we will be able to say that for websites 30 years from now.

Guess I'm just old fashion...

Chris
Edited by chris2015 - 02/15/2017 1:52 pm
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   2:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classicstamps,
WayBack machine doesn't work for sites with server-side code like stampworldhistory.com. (For example, try going to one of the maps or data lists.) Nor does it work for any type of data derived page. Nor does it work if the developer has turned off access to the Wayback bots and spiders. (For example developer doesn't want Wayback stealing the content without permissions.) It also does not steal the images since this is probably a bigger copyright issue for them.

Wayback is basically only good for crusty old sites, written in plain html, without any images, without modern coding or features.

I hope Gerben is ok. Jkjblue... was his email address the same domain as the website or is it with another email server?

Chris,
We would not be in this situation if the major philatelic organizations would get their act together and stop treating web authors like second class citizens. A person can invest 2000 man hours in a hard copy book and be assured it will be around for decades to come. A web developer can invest 2000 man hours and the various philatelic libraries have nothing in place to archive them. It is lame. One of the biggest sins we have, great sites which are being lost everyday now.
<sarcasm> A real motivator to invest time and money in helping philately</sarcasm>

Edit: I have fought this battle for several years and frankly I feel like I am alone. I have made numerous pleas to various folks at APS, APRL, and the Philatelic Librarians group but have made zero headway on this topic. I have pretty much given up on this. The organizations do not care and the only time hobbyists do is when a site goes away.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The excellent France Timbres site, which provided comprehensive free album pages for the French area and elsewhere, is another that's vanished recently.
Pillar Of The Community
1445 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jkjblue... was his email address the same domain as the website or is it with another email server?

I have an email address that is not part of his server (I don't believe).

I sent him another email today. If I hear anything, I will report.

His maps are better than anything that has been published in book form. If they cannot be retrieved, we have truly suffered a loss.
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   2:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jkjblue, thanks for following up, we are keeping our fingers crossed. If it look like his site is not going to be published, and if anyone knows if his family is willing to share his work, I would be happy to republish the site at no charge and keep it freely available to all.

All,
The best thing that hobbyists can do is bring this subject up with the various organizations you belong to. Ask them if they support archiving members or valuable websites. Ask what else they are doing to support their members who invest time and money in online resources.

Folks can also help keep sites up and running by donating to keep the web sites you like and use up. (For example, this forum.) if each one of us simply kicked in a dollar or two every now and then it would go a long way. It is especially frustrating when I see some people who will use a forum like this to get great feedback, often helping them sell their own items, but never give anything back.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31271 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been unable to reach Stamp World History website today.

Hello Jim,
It is working OK for me right now.

Curious:
given the commentaries above, why do not authors, just place their work on a DVD
and pass that on to a trusted Club or collector?
Edited by rod222 - 02/15/2017 3:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Chris...

Quote:
Having said that, this is my concern with websites that have such invaluable information such as Gerben's, yours and many others. They could just disappear. That's why I prefer to have a good old fashion book in my hand

Sadly same can happen for printed matter as well, especially in countries that have no legislation that forces publishers/authors to give away archive copies. Only last month there was (local) news about a book auction that sold the 2nd known copy of a certain Finnish title printed in early 20th century; needless to say it sold at stunning price.

In the end it comes down to somebody taking care of them - be it books or websites. The fact many of the old books are so plenty and easily available is not because of libraries or organizations, but because people who bought, read and consumed them first place took good care of them. And instead of dumping them to recycle bin, the heirs were either smart or greedy enough to give them another live.

With websites it is understandably more difficult, but not impossible.

-k-

Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it look like his site is not going to be published, and if anyone knows if his family is willing to share his work, I would be happy to republish the site at no charge and keep it freely available to all.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the site is just now back up and running
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the France Timbres site address ? Thanks

This one is not working:

http://www.album.france-timbres.net/
Edited by Renden - 02/15/2017 3:40 pm
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
given the commentaries above, why do not authors, just place their work on a DVD and pass that on to a trusted Club or collector?

Although a start it takes a bit more. Imagine being a book author and wanting to have libraries keep your book available to others for decades to come.

You contact them and ask them what you would need to do but they have no one who can tell you this. They cannot tell you if the book, article or manuscript should be double or single spaced. They cannot tell you what fonts to use or how to do an index for it. They cannot tell you if you should submit it on microfiche, paper, of Xerox copies. They cannot tell you if they can accept hardcover or softcover books. They cannot even tell you what language you should write it in. This is where we are today with digital donations.

And as far as hard copies go, scb is absolutely right. People would be shocked to find out how many single copies of books are being stored where no one can access them at all. We have the technology to share these but many libraries are not willing to offer this unless they can make a buck doing it. Others are handcuffed due to not having enough resources.

Consider the issue with libraries and auction catalogs. They do not have the resources to archive the large body of work they represent. Instead many simply throw them away without even scanning them.

Sadly the issue with both hard copy and digital archiving is the same, few hobbyists are willing to support the effort through donations.
Don
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 4,923Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05