Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dealers I Have Known

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,708Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   10:25 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a lot of memories of dealers I did business with over the years, started collecting in 1962. Many of course are no longer around. Might be interesting to throw out a few names and see if anyone recalls them, bought from them or knows what became of them. A couple:

J. Sanders, Philatelist. That is how that firm titled themselves. Based in Southampton, UK I bought from their approval books in the late 1960's. I think they were on Commercial Road. I did Google Earth search a year or so when I recalled their address and there was still a stamp shop at that address!

Kristinn Ardal- this dealer based at Keflavik Airport, Iceland, advertised in Linn's and Meekels for many years from the late 59's and I think I still saw ads from them as late as the mid 80's. He (or she?) sold Iceland stamps and Scandinavian material from a regularly issued price list. Iceland seemed an exotic place to get mail from as a young collector. I always assumed this dealer was a male- I did find someone in Iceland on Facebook with that name and it was an older female.

If any interest I can bring up several more. The life span for dealing is incredibly long for stamp dealers. I collect old stmp magazines and I was amazed when looking over issues from the 1920's to see names I recalled from the 1960's
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps1962 - 02/18/2017 10:59 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33563 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Personal Album Page.
This is how I would make an Album page back in 2010.
I do not know the dealer.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod- neat. Assume the old gentleman is no longer with us. That name sounds familiar, am sure I never bought anything from him but may have seen his adverts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to regularly purchase from the Metro Stamp Company and H.H. Scott, both long gone now.

Jack Kelley
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33563 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

May be of interest.
http://goscf.com/t/23392
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a few that probably are no longer around: F.E. Eaton and Associates, Vancouver B.C.; Faiman Stamps, Las Vegas, NV; Outlet Stamp Company, New York City; the late Portuguese dealer extraordinaire from Ohio, Jim Lemmon. Had quality dealings with all from 1970s into early 1990s.
Edited by Climber Steve - 02/19/2017 2:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   7:23 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Among the dealers I saw advertising in 1920's magazines was Joseph Negreen, based in Connecticut. He sold British empire material, he was still active into the late 1960's. I recall sending him a few orders.

Locally here in Omaha there was the Independent Stamp Company based downtown. It operated under one owner from before WWI until the mid 1970's. The owner was Charles Lam and for most of that time he lived on the premises. I remember seeing covers for sale addressed to him at the store from Austria-Hungary before 1914! There were rumors he had a hoard stashed away somewhere in the store but nobody ever found it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   8:08 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather, on my mother's side, purchased many stamps from The
Jamestown Stamp Company. They began their business in 1939. They are still in business. This example always got my attention!

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33563 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

US

List of Nassau Street Stamp Dealers

American Stamp Dealer and collector. #50 June 2011

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33563 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A well known stamp dealer....

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   8:45 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story about Mr Lam, the dealer in Omaha I referenced. I mentioned that he had been rumored to have stashed away some valuable merchandise on the premises. I later heard from another dealer here that when he passed he was holding a large consignment of early US/Confederate material from the late Jack Molesworth, in Boston. If he was someone either got it or it got tossed, Molesworth took a large loss on it.

I recall one Saturday afternoon sitting at his counter going through stock books. He told me he was tired and walked back to his quarters to take a nap! He left me alone with his stock. I guess he trusted me. He probably was being robbed blind toward the end.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   9:05 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,

Sorry to have jumped in with the Jamestown example!

Your last post addressing honor and trust, are among the most valuable
lessons that any of us can hope to learn, respect,and then teach from.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
967 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

When I first started collecting Colombia, I sent a number of letters to
dealers asking if they had stamps from Colombia. Three answered:

Sam Hodges (Starfire) - Orlando, Florida
Les Yerkes - St.Petersburg, Florida
Cannot Remember name of dealer in Illinois

Guy Shaw

Colombia - Alvaro Barriga, Leo Temprano (once)

Jerry B

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Akn 564 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Growing up in central Connecticut during the late 1960's and early 1970's, I used to frequent Marson Stamp and Coin in New Britain and Glassman Philatelics in Hartford. They were both very supportive! I know that Mr. Glassman passed away several years ago; does anyone knw what happened to the Marson brothers?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
995 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used to regularly purchase from the Metro Stamp Company and H.H. Scott, both long gone now.

Jack Kelley

I also bought a lot of stamps from the Metro Stamp Company when I was still collecting U.S. commemoratives. Always had good service and got nice stamps.

Don
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,708Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05