Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dealers I Have Known

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,696Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
816 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My start was with Lou Rahlin (Lou's Stamps) in Carmichael, CA. I was in 5th grade, and my dad dropped me off at Lou's, so I could "help" him with sorting and finding "good" stamps. He rewarded me with stamps. I learned my basic skills (how to identify and handle stamps). Can't get better than that!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the more memorable dealers I knew was Harry Blue located on Nassau Street. He used blue stationery, a blue typewriter ribbon, and invariable franked his correspondence with blue stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edelmans in Jenkintown and Fernand Creed—Philly Stamp Co on Chestnut St
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7069 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Larry Bustillo of Suburban Stamp in Springfield, MA. He opened in 1976 and I was there. Such amazing stamps to a youngster. Larry was very nice and patient as well. Bought my first Scott National there. Great little auctions at the shop on Saturday mornings.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lapin's Stamps & Coins in Jamaica, NY.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1523 Posts
Posted 04/04/2021   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Burns Searfoss, Stamps in the Attic, Los Altos, CA, in the late 1970s. As a teenager with a limited budget I was doubtless an annoyance but on long summer afternoons when the shop was quiet he was helpful to me and my friends. He sold me my first stamps from the US 1893 Columbian set and I still have them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one from me is Premier Stamp & Coin, located in downtown Indianapolis, my home town. In my college days, Premier was housed in an old downtown high-rise. That building and one next door burned in November, 1973, still the biggest fire ever in the history of Indianapolis, which goes back to the 1820s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
805 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Lawson on Sloane Street,
Ormond Stamps on Lambs Conduit Street,

both in London in the late '60's - early '70's (hey, that's where I grew up).

Back in the States:
Andy Leavitt
Sam Houston Ducks
Herb LaTuchie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember Herb from his suctions. I did well there as it took time to build up clientele so some great scores.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have mentioned Tom Bansak of Toga Associates in CT. I've known him since 1979 and am still buying from him (some MNH Malaya States about a month ago).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1523 Posts
Posted 04/06/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased from Tom of Toga -- probably at the ASDA show in midtown Manhattan -- he was genuinely friendly, helpful and a pleasure to buy from.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33504 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank L TEIXEIRA,
Kansas, then Louisiana
http://goscf.com/t/51767&whichpage=112#710489 br /
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started with approvals from H.E. Harris in 1972. Frequenting a various shops in the 70s in Williamsport Pa and later York.

In the 80s, I was getting approvals from Richart C. Ried of Callicoon NY and Robert Wagner, who sold his business to the "RW Stamp Company" of Buffalo both Ried and Wagner were very helpful. Mystic for their Heirloom albums. And of course USPS and the BEP we steady sources.

Since the early 90s I haven't really had 'a' dealer or dealers that I frequented on a regular basis, just occasionally and dealt with many sources. Now a days, like many I deal with people all over the place via the Internet.

I kinda miss the days of Ried and Wagner, even though it was done through the mail, we'd write back and forth answering questions and sharing their knowledge.
Edited by jconey - 10/08/2021 09:07 am
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was for me growing up COOPS stamp and coin galleries at the Central City Mall in San Bernardino California or Del Rosa Stamp on Highland ave in San Bernardino. I would ride my bike to either one on my weekends. Where I would spend hours going through the tubs of stamps that were 20 for a dollar. That was how I spent my chore money. When Mr. Coop passed away in 1991 They relocated to Redlands Ca. and are still open to this day.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,696Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05