Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This An Error Copy Of US #1272? Or Just Badly Printed?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,984Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I just came across an unused copy of US #1272 that I put aside many years ago. As you can see, the red ink looks like it ran! There is no red staining on the back or anything similar to, say, the bane of stamp soakers: red greeting card envelope staining.

Is this an ERROR, or just a badly printed stamp?

Here is a high-res scan of just the red area (click for larger):

Send note to Staff
Edited by Nells250 - 02/21/2017 3:07 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36803 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
I treat and mount these types firstly as an EFO (Errors Freaks and Oddities)
(items must be mint)
If they are backed up by known others, or one has multiple copies of the same
oddity, then they progress to "error"

Used stamps with oddities are treated with caution.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   3:23 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you calling me a FREAK???

It is mint, full gum, with a couple of tiny little marks on the gum. But definitely an unused stamp. What would I need to do to get the stamp "on the record" and see if others exist?
Edited by Nells250 - 02/21/2017 3:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8172 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Rod is correct. If it is an error a whole bunch of it would exist and probably have been found by now. I would call it an oddity or a freak.

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36803 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would I need to do to get the stamp "on the record" and see if others exist?

Tough question Nells,
my personal route is to mount, label and forget it.
During your collecting, if happenstance occurs, you may see it questioned in your travels.

Other:
search eBay from time to time using the Sc#

Ask at your local Stamp Club.

Enquire as to US EFO catalogues if they exist?
You may be amazed at what some collectors catalogue.

Here's an Australian example:

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alan B to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Odd that multiple copies of the same problem on a stamp might be classified as an error. I have multiple copies of Simpsons stamps with the same problem on all (misprinted date), copies from 4 different post offices in two different states. But will Scott classify them as an error? Not on your life! "Repetitive printing freak" I think was the response they gave.

Alan B.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4763 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36803 Posts
Posted 02/21/2017   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great links.
Thanks, Randy.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 02/22/2017   08:06 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alan - I understand your annoyance! Seems to me that a freak/oddity IS an error! I mean, stamps classified as an ERROR seem not to be strictly based on printing plate errors, but also printing company errors. So, if someone put the wrong year date on your Simpsons stamps, isn't that an ERROR? Someone made an ERROR.

These EFOs are befuddling...

OH, and found this link: http://www.efocc.org/
Learn More...
United States
10975 Posts
Posted 02/22/2017   08:16 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Errors are generally catalog and album listed; EFOs are not. Confusion arises because publishers are not always consistent with how they select these for inclusion. More confusion arises because hobbyists also are not consistent with how they use the terms. This is especially true when 'error' is applied as marketing fluff by sellers.

Ideally our hobby would standardize on the nomenclature we all use (including color names) but I assume that this will never happen. A group like APS would be the best to drive this (since they do not have any dogs in the fight other than helping the hobby.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 02/22/2017   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that depends on the collector, doesn't it...
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,984Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05