Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pre-1940 Ireland Overprints On Steiner Pages

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 9,373Next Topic
Page: of 7
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you FJH,
your collection must be something to behold!
I guess you have the Healy essays, the Dollard, the Long Island Issues.

Some years ago I sold one of my road bikes to a gentleman whom lived alone out in the bush, he was (I guess) suffering from PTSD after serving in the Brit. army in Northern Ireland. Such a terrible time that was.

As a WW collector, I only skim the surface, I note Ireland tends to maintain high CV values, your collection would be highly prized I'd say.

Next for you is Revenues and Pmks It's never ending (thank goodness)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner Page 7.
Rugby Issues engraved by SLANIA.

Source unsure, possibly Gibbons Stamp Monthly.
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2020 5:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice posts Rod !. However, I am (so far) successfully resisting "getting into" the older Irish postmarks.

I am enjoying FJH's blogs. Modern postal history is the focus right now and these essays make great reading.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am enjoying FJH's blogs

Indeed, Bob, FJH writes very well (ex Journalist?)
Not aufait with his blogs, apart from prose on SCF.

Now we are going to "Spin out of control" on the edge of the Black Hole..........
Spending some time on the periphery of philately,
and consider all things THOMOND

Ireland Kingdom of THOMOND

Then some Hijinx from some scoundrel in the United States...

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letterhead Stationery from Dromoland Castle.
Came with Philatelic Ephemera in a box of stamps at auction
called "She says these must go"

Dromoland Castle.
The Restaurant there is called "The Earl of Thomond"

Sc#738 1989 The Thomond car.
http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Thomond/
Valued Member
Ireland
255 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222.
Thank you for the kind words. There is a link to my Blog in my profile.
I am not really interested in essays etc.
"Next" for me is trying to complete my "Wants List".
Apart from the Collection I mentioned, I am interest in "Regionals" mint and used.
And Stamps issued by other countries (eg Belgium, Chile Mexico etc) which have an Irish theme or a joint issue. It can only ever be "representative" as it is difficult to draw a line.
I have several hundred Irish postmarks which I gleaned from kiloware in the 1970s and 1980s.
"Postmarks" are effectively obsolete as almost everything is sorted in I think just four or five sorting offices.
I have a collection of a few thousand SOAR labels. There are under 1000 post offices in the Republic of Ireland and each post office has a unique 4digit code which means that all post offices can be identified in kiloware. I have SOAR labels from about 850 post offices (I cant recall the exact number) and these make good colourful displays as they is a nice mix of designs over the last ten years or so and of course the value on the label can vary from a single cent. The highest I have is Euros55..
I also like "Golden Age" postcards from the pre-Independence era (say 1900-1922). I have maybe 200 cards and cards from all 32 counties. The prime interest is that they are British stamps but the postmark is in English. Theres the added interest that in those days the names of towns are often different.
For example "Queenstown" is now "Cobh" and "Maryborough" is now "Portlaoise"
And "Kings County" is now "County Offaly" and "Queens County" is now "County Laois"
And I also collect propaganda issues from illegal postal services at Christmas time (early 1980s. Covers like these were produced for the "philatelic" market but they are unaddressed. The really interesting ones are those that are addressed and actually were delivered.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner Page 3.

Steiner Page 12.
Edited by rod222 - 01/13/2020 04:48 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   04:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmarks:
CILL T SIOTHLAIN. CLUAIN MEALA (Clonmel)

Unknown
BAILE AN ?? OHBA
(Kitchen Table by Norah McGuiness)
Valued Member
Ireland
255 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark identified as "Parkmore" is more likely "Tullach Mhór" (much bigger)
Cill T Siothlain is Kilsheelan a village about 10km east of Clonmel. It still has its own post office.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous. Thanks FJH.

Ireland Header Page.
Flag and Coat of Arms Cinderellas. (Possibly Poster Stamp Productions -Scott)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Focus: Ireland : The Ubiquitous Dog and Stag stamps.

Second Definitive Series 1968-1982

In 1966 the Irish Government organised an international competition for new designs for the definitive series. The winner of the competition was Heinrich Gerl of Germany and the Irish definitive issues were produced to his designs from 1968 to 1982. The designs are based on motifs from early Celtic Art.
These stamps were printed photogravure by the Government printers up to 1980. From 27 April 1981 they were lithographed by Irish Security Stamp Printing Limited.

The Dog and Stag
There are 47 differing designs of the Dog (Low Values) and the Stag (Middle Values) in the complete set.

from 1971 the watermarked paper for stamps was being phased out as stocks were consumed, ergo, the decimal values exist on both watermarked and unwatermarked paper, increasing existence of varieties to the basic 47 stamp set.

Dog: decoration on an early brooch in the national museum of Ireland.
Stag: from a suspended bowl from Lullingstone, Kent, now in the British Museum.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sundry tearsheet, source unknown, possibly the bulletin "The Revealer"
Some Irish PERFINS.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32773 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eamon de Valera 1882-1975 President.
By Robert Ballagh.

Valued Member
Ireland
255 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert Ballagh is a great artist. I have met him on a few occasions on matters unrelated to collecting. I have several FDcs that he has autographed for me.
"Irish Stamp News"...I have several copies. It was effectively the house magazine of the leading stamp dealer at that particular time.
It stirs a lot of memories. My first venture into writing about stamps was in the Autumn 1993 edition. Writing under a nom de plume (or nom de guerre?) I was speculating on Stamp issues in 2043. As I noted then, from 1922 to 1991 only six women had appeared on Irish stamps and four of them had founded religious orders.

Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 9,373Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05