Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pre-1940 Ireland Overprints On Steiner Pages

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So we did have it right FJH, we sensed some journalistic bent in your postings.
Don't be shy, feel free to post any of your past work.

We also have the Shanahans members here that have had articles in the Australian Stamp Monthly (Brit. pre stamp letters) (Eunice Shanahan)

As an aside, found a SOAR hiding back of book, with my "unidentifieds" and ephemera, thought I had never had one.
Care to guide us on what to look for? any Catalogue for these? Water Soluble adhesive?
Thanks.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/14/2020 08:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As I noted then, from 1922 to 1991 only six women had appeared on Irish stamps and four of them had founded religious orders.

Well, it's time to adjust that here on SCF.
Due recognition to women in Irish Stamps, one Ann Flynn (Stamp Designer)
Winner of the 1988 "Prix Olympia"
The best stamp for the Summer Olympic Games of 1988, Seoul.

Sc#713 1988 Designed by Ann.

Prix Olympia Image
AN Post 70 year Anniv Year Book
ISBN 1872228135 (1992)
Edited by rod222 - 01/14/2020 08:43 am
Valued Member
Ireland
203 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah I have never been a journalist. But I am a blogger in many different arenas.
Writing did play a large part in my working life and in post-working life but I am still type with two fingers. Post-retirement, spelling, syntax and grammar are really terrible.
The SOAR stamp the otter (madra uisce is literally "water dog" was bought in Kinvara, County Galway on the 308th day of 2014. It was the 157th stamp in the roll.
The 60c stamp was from a booklet and the SOAr was added after National Rate postage went from 60cents to 68cents.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting read here.
Philatelic Ulysses.
(confession: One of the few books, I did not manage to finish as a 21 yo)

Source : Jstor

"the child travels among the lands and people of his postage stamps"
William Herbert.
Snippet.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4642 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   02:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shame on you, Rod! Too easy to get mired in one of the dull, early sections. The 26 September NYRB had an interesting article by Michael Chabon about the successful strategy to enable publication of Ulysses in the US (not linked, as that particular article is subscription only).
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps not shame, Geoff, just an indication of personal limitation.
I read all of Dickens whilst in Vietnam, and thought I'd springboard to Joyce.
Alas, a bridge too far.
Not game to give it another try.

Sc#22
Not my stamp.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05