Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pre-1940 Ireland Overprints On Steiner Pages

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 9,374Next Topic
Page: of 7
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for broadcasting encouragement Greg,

A good thread title, interesting material, varied contributors,
are like a well in the desert.

You may come and relieve your thirst for knowledge, one sip at a time.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread! Ireland doesn't get much attention but it is an interesting area to explore. There is a lot of complexity in the early issues not covered in this thread.

I didn't know how this thread would be received but it worked out well. It was fun to put together and I'm pleased that other, more knowledgeable collectors have contributed.

Let's see your stuff!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monograph.
The Triangle Cancellations of Ireland

By our SCF Member, Christopher Palermo

https://www.academia.edu/35960179/T...wnload-paper
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1506 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Rod thanks for linking the Triangle Cancels article. At Great American Stamp Show I picked up this cover showing the "Sword of Light" definitive with triangle cancel ANU for An Uaimh (Navan, Co. Meath) paying the printed matter rate to the US, then forwarded to a different seminary location with a Fourth Bureau 1 1/2c definitive paying the printed matter rate within the US. Both cancels are mute, of course, so we cannot date the cover except roughly based on the issue dates of the stamps.

For me, it's a triple win: my first Irish triangle cancel on cover; my first example of ANU; and a nice solo Fourth Bureau use. Now I have a problem, do I display it with my triangle cancel collection, or with my Fourth Bureau solo uses collection.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me, it's a triple win: my first Irish triangle cancel on cover; my first example of ANU; and a nice solo Fourth Bureau use. Now I have a problem, do I display it with my triangle cancel collection, or with my Fourth Bureau solo uses collection.

Suggestion:
Both Christopher,
the less preferred, use a printed scanned image.
Based on the ideology that new information is shown by both.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 08/16/2021   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like St. Columban's Seminary is still active in Nebraska and they may very well have information on Reverand Edward O'Doherty. They migrated the organization from Ireland in 1918 so early 20s to early 30s would make perfect sense.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 9,374Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05