Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double And Triple Transfers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It took years to spot this?????? Perhaps it's because I collect them, but I cannot understand how anyone could miss that DT.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt,

wow. gorgeous cover. Could be best unmatched in quality with this DT on it? Cancel? is interesting as well.

But now I am confused. What is a" Fox fake"??????????? Is the stamp real but the cover is fake?

rg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1182 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott #22 with #26 on cover. #22 from Plate 11, undetermined position (illustrated in Neinken, p. 484 #20). Neinken labeled this position as a DT, but Wagshal thought it a triple transfer (see Siegel Sale 1006, March 2011, p. 156). You can see the traces of previous transfer(s) at bottom.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago there was a dealer named John Fox who "created" dozens of covers. He would hear that a collector was looking for a particular cover or rate, and he would suddenly have one available. Here is a great site that shows many of them:

http://www.uspcs.org/resource-cente...fake-covers/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So wtcrowe's 2(b) on cover is a fake per uspcs website... I assume the stamp is genuine however??? Cancel is likely fake as well?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6090 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel on the stamp would have been faked; the stamp probably had a cleaned cancel to begin with (and possibly a thin, to make it worth putting on a fake cover). The Binghamton cds might well be genuine (or not).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2040 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp is genuine on the Fox cover but it does look like it started out as a pen cancelled stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
anyone have a 87R15, 3c Scott 26, Double transfer???

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2490 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rgstamp, I don't think I do.

But I do have the 11A triple, 92L2L.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
535 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I can offer these four examples.

Thank you Winston for all of these stamps.

#7 69L2, DT

# 9 12R1L DT

# 17 with Triple Transfer

# 21 99R2 Double Transfer W/ Doporto Cert.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2040 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 87R15 @600dpi for now. I would like to have a better copy. Plate 15 stamps can be found with some of the most terrific impressions that you will see. I also sold a pretty good one on eBay last August.

Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the dalayed response, I have been busy with other projects today. The Binghamton postmark is a fake and the herringbone cancel is also a fake. The stamp has a pen cancel removed. I think the double transfer is legitimate, but with John Fox anything is possible. It has a PF certificate stating that the postmark and herringbone cancellation are fake, but does not say anything about the double transfer. I bought the cover for my fakes and forgery reference collection along with a number of other Fox fakes. I assumed that Fox would not use a better stamp, so I did not bother to look at the stamp.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is a genuine herringbone cancel and postmark. The scan is courtesy of the Siegel Auction Galleries website
Pillar Of The Community
United States
828 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My heart just skipped a beat as a flipped through this and saw rlm leisurely post a pic of Scott 21 99R2. Not the most striking DT, but certainly a stamp rarely found in any collection. Well done!

I asked about the 87R15 because I am only familiar with the massive catalog mark up for a Scott 26 with this DT.. A 15$ stamp turns into $2500. I have not studied it, only noticed the massive price differential in Scott for a regular 26 versus this DT position 26. Winston, I'm not sure many copies exist better than yours! My assumption is that the stamp is very very rare.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
500 Posts
Posted 03/25/2017   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for sharing. Seeing examples of these stamps is very educational, especially for those of us in the hinterlands that never see anyone else's collection.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05