Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Expect Fewer Stamps On Your Mail

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 3,743Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
11233 Posts
Posted 03/27/2017   3:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine the nightmare of trying to maintain cash drawers, most likely one for each steward/stewardess, that would have to be cashed out and accounted for after each flight. The multiple that times the numbers of fights per day for an airline. The logistics/costs boggle my meager mind.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37517 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
11233 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   05:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused by that article Rod. Why would people be concerned about their credit card usage and traceability while they walk around with GPS enabled cell phones in their pockets? Why would they be concerned about credit card 'privacy implications' when every step of our internet usage can be tracked? Heck, even cars are recording our movements; seems to me that credit card traceability would be the least of the concerns.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2036 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
True, the potential is there for an evil totalitarian state to use such things as credit card and mobile phone tracking for their own nefarious ends. I'm not discounting the possibility that this could happen, even in "advanced" democracies at some point. Absent that, it boils down to people trying to sell us things, which I'm not too concerned with, beyond occasionally being annoyed. Would I feel better about it if there were no information about me in a bunch of databases somewhere? Sure, but it doesn't keep me up at night, and I usually don't even give it a second thought. There are a million other things that will probably cause me genuine harm before such tracking information does.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37517 Posts
Posted 03/28/2017   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm confused by that article Rod. Why would people be concerned about their credit card usage and traceability while they walk around with GPS enabled cell phones in their pockets? Why would they be concerned about credit card 'privacy implications' when every step of our internet usage can be tracked? Heck, even cars are recording our movements; seems to me that credit card traceability would be the least of the concerns.
Don

Sorry Don,
cannot imagine what the author was intending, I posted as an interest piece,
as it arrived when the topic was being discussed.
I share the same philosophy as the "artful hinger".

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3162 Posts
Posted 03/30/2017   9:47 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - I wonder how much the increase in cash you cited is in support of the "underground" economy?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3653 Posts
Posted 03/31/2017   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure the government likes credit cards since it makes transactions more auditable.
Al
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 05/10/2017   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add capladyce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the most interesting things about credit cards I've learned is through archery connections. I know someone who works in consumer data analytics for Visa, and there is a gov't rule against tracking purchases in 'vice' categories, including strip clubs, gambling, and notably guns. For years, Visa couldn't use Walmart purchases in their analytics because they sold guns and ammunition. Eventually, they petitioned for an exemption, and received it, but the vice categories are interesting. I wonder if stamp collecting counts as a vice? ;)

Amanda
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 05/10/2017   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They probably do it to sell less stamp by unit, in Canada if you purchase stamps in booklets/coils/panes, it cost you 85 cents per stamps. If you purchase a single stamp at post office it cost you $ 1, so they encourage to buy in multiples units.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 3,743Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05