Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Day Cover Catalogues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 888Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 04/09/2017   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampman2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been working for some time on FDCs for the 1930's. I'm finding a LOT of FDCs which are not listed in any catalogue I've seen. I have several versions of the Planty-Mellone catalogs, with the most recent being the 2000-2010 versions which were soft cover perfect bound.

Is there any catalogue update which anyone is aware of which goes beyond that. I've visited the AFFDC society site, but that's not exactly one I'd call user friendly nor does there seem to be any concerted effort at updating information on the site for outdated catalogs.

I could see if I was running into one or two or even seven or eight unlisted cachets, but this is an issue which has been around since the 1934-35 period. It would seem to me, with the internet having been around since the 1990's that someone would have started working on compiling a more complete and definitive listing of FDCs for these issues.

Any information which can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
72 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002

I was researching this topic and found this post but no real info. Did you ever figure it out on your own?

When looking at older FDC (1923-to 1929) I like to see it in the catalog first then buy it otherwise I assume it is an unofficial add-on cacheted cover that are common. I have found some of these add-on offerings are very nice looking but I assume the long term value of the cover is not enhanced in any meaningful way?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Redtail,

Sadly, as you can see, the only thing I heard were the crickets. There are a variety of older catalogues out there, but nothing recent and no one seems to want to do anything about it.
Valued Member
72 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002

Thanks for the reply and that's what figured might be the response.

I too joined AFFDC society site recently and paid the annual fee to see what they might have for indexed info on FDC but all I could figure out was viewing back issues of the publication. These articles are great if they are spot on in terms of topic you are interested in, otherwise, I skip them. I gain a lot of insight from the articles on Fluegel and other patriotic FDC makers. But I only received a very limited benefit in terms of cataloging the universe of US FDC. If somebody wants to educate me on getting more from this site, please do, otherwise, this will be a 'one and done' deal for me and I will need to return my membership card at the end of my one-year membership per their rules

I'm assuming the market size is so tiny that no publisher see a cost-reward to enhance this historical set of catalogs. In my dream world this would all be online with users able to submit new entries for the publisher's consideration to add-in new undiscovered FDC originals when appropriate. And since this is my dream world the database also pulls in historical transactions of the market place (eBay, HS, SANS, Others) so a user can get a feel for the 'value' of the FDC they looked up. I know this is only a dream but you have to imagine it before it can be materialized so step one is done.

Happy collecting!
Edited by Redtail - 01/17/2019 4:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05