Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George VI Definitive 3d & 3d Blue (1939-1942)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,154Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob041256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

ACSC 190) 1937. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die I. Ink stripped known as "white wattles". C of A watermark. Greyish Blue
This the is original state of the die found in the earliest printing. The shallow lines of engraving were exaggerated by the use of an unsatisfactory ink in a characteristic Royal Blue shade which had a tendency to be stripped from the plate by the wiper (doctor blade). The die characteristics are:
1. The wattles and wattle leaves in each corner are very white with little shading.
2. The King's ear is unshaded and the chin is badly defined.
3. "TA" of "POSTAGE" at top right is pronouncedly joined at foot.
4. A characteristic of the ink stripping is that it tendered to produce two breaks in the inner left frame opposite the lower half of the portrait oval (two arrows shown above), and notably the easiest way to identify the stamp.

ACSC 191) 1937. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die I. Right side 'TA' of 'POSTAGE' joined. Blue
The introduction of a new ink formula solved the ink stripping problems. This improved the appearance of the stamps, correcting the defects of 1, 2 & 4 of the "white wattles", although the outline of the chin remained unclear. However, the joined "TA" remained to a lesser degree (encircled above).

ACSC 192) 1937. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die Ia. Right side 'T' of 'POSTAGE' tapered. C of A watermark. Blue
The joined "TA" flaw was addressed by retouching the two copper plates. On each unit the letters "T" and "A" were cut apart producing a characteristic tapering of the lower part of the "T". The hand retouching means there is inevitably some variation between the letters (arrow shown above).

ACSC 193A) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thick chalky surfaced paper. C of A watermark. Blue
The appearance of the Die 1A was still considered unsatisfactory. Die II was the recutting of Die I, performed on a fresh transfer of the original die. The characteristics are:
1. "T" and "A" are separated, and the rest of "POSTAGE" has been re-engraved, making it appear even.
2. The King's chin is outlined and strong, continuous line.
3. No white space over King's ear, as in Die I.
4. Top of cross level with top frame and does not slope.

ACSC 193B) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thick chalky surfaced paper. C of A watermark. Greyish-Blue
ACSC 193c) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thick chalky surfaced paper. Ink stripping 'white face'. C of A watermark. Blue
ACSC 194A) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thin unsurfaced paper. C of A watermark. Blue
ACSC 194B) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thin unsurfaced paper. C of A watermark. Prussian Blue
ACSC 194c) 1938. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 13 x 14. Die II. Thin unsurfaced paper. Severe ink stripping giving blurred effect 'white face'. C of A watermark. Blue
ACSC 195A) 1940. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. Die III. C of A watermark. Deep Blue

When a new master plate was required following the introduction of the 14.75 x 14 perforating machines, it was decided to engrave a completely new die. This was based on the design that was used for the 1/4d stamp, in which the head is slightly smaller and more of the epaulette at right is showing. According to archival records, Die III was created in September 1939, and the master plate and electros derived therefrom are 640-on.
ACSC 195B) 1940. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. Die III. C of A watermark. Prussian Blue

VALUE INCREASE

ACSC 223A) 1941. King George VI. 3d over 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. C of A watermark. Yellow and Black on Deep Blue
A d war tax was imposed on postage from December 10, 1941. On that date, in order to use up surplus stocks of stamps rendered obsolete, three surcharges were isued - 2d on 2d, 3d on 3d and 5d on 5d. Personnel serving in the AIF, RAAF and RAN were exempt from paying the war tax.
ACSC 231A) 1942. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. C of A watermark. Blue
ACSC 231a) 1942. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. Thin paper. C of A watermark. Blue
ACSC 231D) 1942. King George VI. 3d. Perforation 15 x 14. C of A watermark. Dark Blue

Send note to Staff
Edited by Rob041256 - 04/10/2017 1:12 pm

Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive study. Thank you for such an example. More please?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rdavid

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you liked the display.

There is definitely more to come. There are more frontal as well as side view George VI definitive heads to display, keep watching the topics section, I'll be uploading the second part in the next 24 hours.

Rob
Edited by Rob041256 - 04/10/2017 12:45 pm
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob,

Thanks for sharing those images, very nice, and in fact you have answered a question I was about to ask on the board.

Apart from booklets (till about 2002) I don't collect Australian issues, but I came across this block in a stock book and noticed the watermark was sideways.

I have three different reference books, all seriously outdated, The Australian Stamp Catalogue, Comprehensive Colour Catalogue and The Stamps of the Commonwealth of Australia (Rosenblum) which I checked for the watermark.

The A.S.C. states a different perforation for the 1/0d and the 2/6d but no mention of the sideways wmk. The C.C.C. simply says CofA Wmk. Rosenblum says Watermark Type 12 and the type 12 illustration is of a CofA Upright.

Do you have a source for the sideways watermark or is it from your own observations? Just curious..

Regards
Ron.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ron

In the 2015 and 2019 ACSC (I have both), it mentions that the 1/0/d has a multiple Crown and C of A watermark positioned sideways with the Crown facing left (Type 6).

Rob

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3800 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent Rob

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dianne

It's a great feeling to know that others benefit from my knowledge of KGVI and QEII stamps.

Rob
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that Rob,

The ASC catalogue I have is the 24th edition October 1989, so out-dated hardly covers it does it!

Cheers
Ron
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ron

It is definitely out of date, with future editions they added more information and newer discoveries. A 21 year old ACSC is very much a dinosaur.

Rob
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,154Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05