Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Curious About 3 Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,637Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1341 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BlackJag to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I only collect Canadian issues, I'm requesting any assistance on these stamps.

I think that the USA pair must be for Government use (just odd that someone had two identical issues but only one was faded).

The Trinidad surcharge is damaged, but I'm thinking that it must be fairly old as it does not include Tobago.

No idea what country/colony the remaining stamp is from - perhaps Austria?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8243 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blackjag, the USA pair that shows a "G" is just a regular stamp, or rather an emergency issue. It is a long story, but when the Post Office wanted to raise rates and had to wait for Congress to approve the increase they went ahead and printed the stamps. Not knowing how much of a raise they could get they printed these stamps with a letter on it. Started with an "A", and after several increases wound up with the "G" rate that you show. Luckily for all of us, the "H" rate was the last of these funny stamps to be issued! These stamps, by the way were intended for domestic use only. That is the reason you have never seen these before.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Blackjag.
The Trinidad is for Trinidad and Tobago, but uses an old Trinidad design. Postage due issued in 1947. Note cents as opposed to pence.
And yes the pink stamp is Austria, regular postage issued 1883.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 04/22/2017   11:01 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For humor here is a nice set of 7 variations of the G rate stamps.

Learn More...
United States
4745 Posts
Posted 04/23/2017   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please post your "Identification Questions" in the appropriate category -- NOT in the Main forum.

You'll get better answers in places like "US Modern" or World Classics"

Thanks,
Kirk
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1341 Posts
Posted 04/23/2017   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the information and the examples.

Canada has done the same with an "A" stamp followed by "blank" denomination issues. I don't remember where I found this so can't give credit, but someone created the following page for every one issued to date.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
777 Posts
Posted 04/23/2017   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re the USA stamp, when the A emergency stamp was issued, I posted an envelope using them to myself at an address in the UK, knowing they not intended for that use. They went through and were delivered without problem.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 04/24/2017   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I don't think I have any of those G stamps. Early 1990's was a time that I was away from collecting, and even the most common stamps, like this, escaped me and are glaring holes in my album. Gotta take care of that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,637Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05