Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott #964. Two Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,792Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add johnsue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two scott #964 Stamps. One is bright and clear the 2nd is dull and not very crisp. The top one is more yellowish and the bottom is more reddish or brownish. Thank you for your help.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8243 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johnsue, they do not look all that different on my monitor. One thing you need to keep in mind is that a used stamp will always look just a little bit different. As a matter of fact, sometimes two brand new mint stamps can look just a tad different.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. The color difference is hard to tell on a computer. It is much different in person. The top one is much cleaner and bold while the lower one is undefined shapes. The top one is used and the bottom is MNH. Again thanks for any and all help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2714 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mint stamp has more ink outside of the bottom of the vignette. Clearer detail in the same area of used stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8243 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Littleriverphil, I noticed that also but blaimed it on the picture. The bottom picture seems a bit out of focus. It would be nice, just for the sake of argument to see both stamps pictured in the same scan?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are from the same scan. Had to break up the stamps into two files. one file was to big to upload here. Scan was with a IRIScan book executive 3. What is "the bottom of the vignette"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8243 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, even if they were from the same scan, they were processed different. To really compare them they need to be processed identical.
For one thing, if you look at both pictures one ( the bottom ) is not in focus and the other is. Also, one has a black background, the other white.

Peter

Peter
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just cropped them after the scan, no other editing done on them. I like to leave them untouched other them crop. Are they the same scott number or different? That is what has me confused.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2714 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the background will affect our perception of color.

Quote:
What is "the bottom of the vignette"

The vignette is the central medallion, the wagon and oxen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The difference could probably be attributed to one stamp being used and having been soaked from the envelope on which it did postal duty, while the second one is mint. Color seems to be deeper with stamps which have gum, again perhaps because of the lack of a bath.

Regardless, the color difference is not that significant, so these would both be within the range for the issue.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/30/2017   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for making it clear to me.
Pillar Of The Community
3673 Posts
Posted 05/01/2017   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First stamp seems slightly wetter printed and second stamp seems slightly drier printed. However, comparing a used to a mint stamp is not an equal comparison.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,792Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05