Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Highway Post Office Aka Hpo Covers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 06/22/2011   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
loads of these on buckacover. I love that site but it's stock been really thinned out lately.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 06/22/2011   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always forget to check that site. Thanks for the reminder.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/24/2011   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This link has a nice video with archival footage of Highway Post Offices:

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/exhi...movie.html#1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all, this cover is for the initial run of the Yakima, Wa. to Pasco, Wa HPO. It is signed by the Yakima Postmaster of that time Tom Stave. I knew Tom because I worked at the Yakima PO in the early 60's to middle 70's. Tom was quite a guy, he was a doughboy in WWI. I recall that he never used any sick leave. When he had to have surgery once he used his vacation time to cover it. When he retired, with about 40 years of service, he had over (I think) 5000 hours of sick leave, which in those days, he was not compensated for it. You don't find too many folks like that any more. yakboomer.

Edited by yakboomer - 01/30/2013 4:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/30/2013   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, now that I look at my cover, the cachet says first trip, but the postmark says trip 64. I am sure that someone on this site can explain it to me. thanks, yakboomer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
870 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's give this old topic a dust-off! I was thumbing through my RPO covers today and discovered I had a couple HPO first trip covers in with them. So I did a little searching on the forum and came up with this thread.

Turns out I have a bookend to one of the covers posted eight years back, the last day trip of the Portland to Corvallis, Oregon route. This one has some personal significance to me as I lived in Portland for 12 years.

Posted by Battlestamps in 2010:

I also have one from the Baltimore to DC first trip:

I'd love to see some more of these from other routes!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover is one that I mailed to myself when I was 13 years old. We lived in Hemet CA, 4 miles from San Jacinto and the HPO came through town for a short time. Surprised I could actually find the cover.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1099 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another cover for your enjoyment:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2244 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Oct 11 1958, Mendocino California celebrated 100 years of postal service and dedicated a new post office building. As a special feature of the celebration, the USPOD authorized it's Highway Post Office Vehicle No 1 to participate in the celebration. The cover contains a flyer with more details.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
870 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmm, now that I look at my cover, the cachet says first trip, but the postmark says trip 64. I am sure that someone on this site can explain it to me.

I was wondering the same thing about that San Jacinto cover. Anyone have an answer?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The trip number is a reference to the route. Normally, on a HPO cover it is Trip 1 as shown on the Baltimore to Washington cover. Trip 2 would be the return trip from Washington to Baltimore. While 1 and 2 are the most common numbers, others were used, often where the HPO met a RPO route.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
870 Posts
Posted 12/11/2018   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So Trip 64 would be an extension of an RPO route number?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
644 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another bump up on the HPO covers.

Non-philatelic HPO covers are difficult to find. HPOs picked-up, sorted, and dispatched mail on their routes, but did not cancel much on the bus.

This cover is kind of a hybrid. It is not a first trip, but is, I believe, philatelic in origin. Given the signatures in the upper left corner, it is likely a favor cancel. The addressee apparently worked as a clerk for the Postal Transportation System, the successor to the Railway Mail Service. Note the PTS in the killer instead of a RMS. I have seen other HPO covers addressed to him and my guess is he was clerk on an HPO or a RPO and collected HPO covers.

I worked for the Postal Transportation System as a substitute mail clerk. Never on an HPO, but on RPOs between Chicago and Omaha, Omaha and Cheyenne, and Omaha and Denver, and in the PTS terminals at Council Bluffs and Omaha from 1958 to 1960 when I transferred into the Omaha post office. I don't collect HPO covers, but was taken with the cachet on this one and bought it for my general cover collection.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
609 Posts
Posted 01/27/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 01/31/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another nice HPO. Nothing on the reverse.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05