Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Portugal.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 6,546Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/12/2017   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Starting with all the Postage Dues.

Steiner Page 40.

I cannot afford the 1898 set,
Here they are in 1911 overprinted for postal use.

Steiner Page 12.

Steiner Page 41.

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 05/12/2017 9:58 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/12/2017   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 042.

Steiner Page 43.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222,

Do you add the page numbers to your albums?
Al
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Angore,

Quote:
Do you add the page numbers to your albums?

Absolutely, one has to, if one is to remain organised.

I have Steiner on my hard disk, and print a page when required, which saves printing huge amounts, when stamps become available, I mount and slip the page in where required.

I use a pencil to enumerate the page top left hand corner.

Of course Steiner goes out of whack, when (personally) I leave semi postals and air at B.o.b. But headings show the year help in that regard.

You cannot see it, but I jot notes in the margins of my pages, for important information.

Cheers.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coincidentally, I'm reworking my Portugal stamps at present. I look forward to plagiarising your hard work!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coincidentally, I'm reworking my Portugal stamps at present. I look forward to plagiarising your hard work!

Excellent Geoff!
Hope you post some of your efforts.
I borrowed my Album Pages from Mr. Steiner's work.
I took the information from Amos' work.
I took over caretaking responsibilities from the previous collector, who mounted carefully.
We all stand on someone elses shoulders.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 29.

Steiner Page 30.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These look good, Rod. I need to re-do my Portugal group through the late 1930s. I have used old Schaubeck pages, for the earliest issues, that came with a collection I purchased some years ago. They're not really good. Then there is the massive Ceres set. I'll be following the same M.O. as with the colonies. Switch out the Big Blue Part 1 pages, and the Schaubeck, for blank quadrille pages. I mounted my Ceres collection in the '90s, long before the Scott catalog revision of the Ceres listings for both Portugal and the colonies.

Need the same switchover for my early Azores. Much work thus lies ahead.
Edited by Climber Steve - 05/13/2017 7:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Steve

Quote:
Then there is the massive Ceres set.

Is there anything nicer than a complete page of Ceres type stamps?
Always has been a target of mine, but not achieved.

They are like the collection of Turkey PTT overprints in as much as,
one has to buy heaps of Album pages to winkle out the rarer issues.

Very hard to find completed pages for sale, which demand a shiny shekel.

Good luck with your job, sounds like a lot of hard work....

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personal Page. Flyspecking.
1972-1976

Unusual collection of backmarked stamps of this issue.

Edited by rod222 - 05/13/2017 11:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, Rod

Looking at the Lusiad issue that originally appeared between 1931 and 1938, am I right in guessing that the darker/bolder shades represent later printings? If so, any ideas about period of issue?

Geoff
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at the Lusiad issue that originally appeared between 1931 and 1938, am I right in guessing that the darker/bolder shades represent later printings? If so, any ideas about period of issue?

Geoff

Unknown Geoff,
I have lots of duplicates stored away somewhere, I'll have a look when I find them.
Are you aware half are Typo, half Litho?
Maybe that is the difference you spot?

Nothing about shades in Gibbons.

Fascinating series those, never forgotton, reminds me of the French "Rights of Man" series.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod

Thank you. No, my ancient SG Europe only mentions typo. I assume that, because they were in use for a relatively long period, differences would appear with time. Once I get the laptop cranked up and remove a pile of football magazines from the top of the scanner, I'll take a couple of pics.

Geoff
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, get your act together, Geoff,
No Scobbleblotching (noun: scobbleblotcher) here, my good man.
We want pics....

Edited by rod222 - 05/17/2017 09:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff: I haven't looked at the Lusiad issue although may have a few shades. My "intense interest" in Portugal sort of ends with the last Ceres issues. I do have all 13 of the souvenir sheets from late 1930s through late 1940s. And then "hit or miss" through the late 1960s where my Portugal collection ends. Early this year, I picked up a couple auction lots, one from the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library, to try and fill blank spaces from the 1930s into the '60s. Unfortunately, have been busy and those continue to sit unattended.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been having a crack at Portugal this week, including a wade into the Ceres issues. Nothing very sophisticated - simply following my '60s Gibbons Europe. Plenty of gaps, tatty stamps and, I see in the cold light of day and scanner, the odd mis-ID!

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 6,546Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05