Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 cent carmine block of 4 unwatermarked. Need help to identity type of perf. 11  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Good Day to everyone
The pictures are scanned at 1200DPI, and the back shows no watermarks. It has to be a type 1 or type 1a, since only one line in ribbon shading. Is it a Scott 499 or something else?

Based on the scans, can someone tell me which one may it be, a type 1 or a type 1a?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
3247 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Image appears to be an offset printing.

Check to see if stamp is non-engraved offset printing. (This means that the ink lies flat on the paper of the offset stamp. If you hold the stamp at a very sharp angle to a light source, the color on the stamp will almost disappear. This is just the opposite for the engraved stamps. Engraved stamps typically have raised ink, you can often feel it with your finger; compare with other stamp which are known to be flat plate engraved stamps.)

If it is offset, then perf 11 choices are 526, 527, 528, 528B, and 528A.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not think it was an off set since the Scott 526 would have only as a type 1V. Which means the top line of the toga robe is broken, and the shade line in the button would have "C11D" look. The toga lines are not broken or has that "C11D" in the button.
Learn More...
3247 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the stamp raised raised ink?
Don
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is crop from the second right horizontal stamp. I tried to make it a better image view.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
756 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:32 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The block is a type I engraved, flat plate and unwatermarked. The color is wrong for 461, making it 499. End of story.
Edited by cfrphoto - 05/16/2017 1:33 pm
Learn More...
3247 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Clark.
Don
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked it Don, there is no raised ink.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you, Clark! I wanted to make sure.
Learn More...
3247 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I was trying to walk you through the process of determining print type first but Clark was kind enough to ID the stamp for you.
Don
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate it Don. I look sometimes at eBay under Scott 499 and 500, and I saw what was being certified with colors, so I said best to ask. Thank you again!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
689 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another technique that some use to distinguish between engraved (flat plate & rotary) or offset stamps is the "foil test". Take a small piece of aluminum foil & place it over the surface of the stamp. Then gently rub your finger across the foil for a few moments. Then remove & reverse the foil & check it for any impressions. Engraved stamps, due to the raised ink on their surface, will leave an impression of the stamp design in the foil. Offset stamps will leave no such impression.
Of course, in this particular instance, you have Clark's (cfrphoto) opinion to go by. You will find no higher philatelic court.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lioness2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, JL. another excellent technique expressed.
If I am correct, the Scott 500 (1a) can be both. Rotary for unused condition stamps and only flat plate for used condition stamps.
Yes, Clark is excellent as well as others too! Thank you all!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
689 Posts
Posted 05/17/2017   02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, all type Ia A140 2-cent stamps are flat plate, just as all type II & type III are rotary press. Type I can be either flat plate or rotary depending on the issue.
Edited by JLLebbert - 05/17/2017 02:11 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM
  2017 pentagon finance USPS cancels on back of envelope, free
  114 with later cancel
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  Federated Malay States $250 Revenue Stamp
  New Birds of Canada Issue

A horse is a horse, of course, of course... (part 2)
  Total eclipse scott number
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Help ID Australian 4d Orange, Scott 31
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Literary Stamp Collecting
  Reorganizing Scott International
  Unitrade Canada 2017 Current Catalogue Status
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  Whats in your Library?
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Self adhesive mounts
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  Identify bluish paper "on the fly"
  Lighthouses on Stamps
  Recutting on the R68c
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  GB KGV Downey Head - Overview and Discussion
  China: PJZ-17 (What is that number ?)

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05