Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify German? States.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,460Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddreisba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have bought some lots of German States. Among the many stamps was this quartet.

My eyes are going bad, so I can't quite make out, due to cancellation, the upper left.

Upper right: Printed backwards?

Lower left: Fribourg? That does't sound German. I believe there is a Fribourg in both France and Switzerland, but I don't think the Swiss one is the name of a Canton. French cities never issued their own stamps, did they?

Lower right: Well, Thurm und Taxis, obviously. And probably Southern District. But all the stamps they issued are square, and look quite different. This isn't even a picture of a TuT stamp. What is it?

Thanks for the help.

Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The upper left stamp is cut postal stationary from Prussia. The Mainz postmark suggests that it was used in the brief period around 1867 between Prussia's takeover of the Thurn and Taxis postal system and the formation of the North German Confederation.

The upper right stamp is also from Prussia and should be on very thin paper called goldbeater's skin, so you might just turn it over.

The lower right stamp is cut from postal stationary from Thurn and Taxis. Michel lists it but Scott does not.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7253 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only one left is a revenue stamp of the Swiss town and canton of Fribourg.
By the way, Fribourg has been a Swiss canton since 1481!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/20/2017 1:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
Posted 05/21/2017   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my, Peter, I lived in Basel for a year. I should have known that.

Don
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
Posted 05/22/2017   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the quick answers. As usual, I am amazed at the amount of knowledge members of this forum have and are willing to share. Under certain light, the front of the Prussian stamp looks very dark, so I assumed that was the back. I've looked again, in better light, and it is obvious.

Thanks again.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. These German states are tricky for the novice. I have tried to identify both. The first I believe is North German Confederation - not sure the scott#? The second I can see is Bayern/Bavaria - is this sc39? The stamp is damaged I know - but wanting to identify properly. Thanks.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31365 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bavaria
Correctly identified the type....A5
Now to check the perforation guage

Adopting the SCF mantra that any stamp is the cheapest type,
then the corollory suggests it would be Sc#62 (40c) Perf 14.5 Wmk 95H

Happy checking

North German Federation
Check Perforation guage
Either Sc#4 or Sc#16
1 Groschen
Postmark : Bremen
No need to apologise for a damaged stamp.
Edited by rod222 - 01/21/2021 11:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! it is #62. I have to remember to keep looking forward for other options. It is all good practice. The other one is sc#16. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
North German Federation, perforations are pretty obviously too fine for the earlies, Scott #16.
Bavaria looks like the center is embossed, than makes it more likely to be Scott #39, but the watermark should tell for sure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all.
Are these all considered German Colony Stamps? Would I look them up in my Scott Catalogue under German Colonies and look for: Togo, Samoa etc.? When I come upon these in my sorting efforts I always put them aside. With my new catalogue coming hoping to figure these out. Thanks.

Edited: I meant Colonies :) not states.
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/25/2021 12:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1459 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not German States,but German Colonies.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I meant Colonies - I was about to edit - so I look under German Colonies in Germany section?

NOTE: I think I figured it out - I need to go to TOGO, Samoa, Marshall Island, etc to ID these.

Thank you Vayolene for nudging me in the right direction.
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/25/2021 12:10 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31365 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 01/25/2021 12:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent- thank you. These always had me scratching my head.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31365 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget our member PostmasterGS site !
Search bar is on the left, amazing information......
(offers variety information)
German stamps, for English speakers.
Album Pages FREE

https://www.germanstamps.net/collection-search/

Edited by rod222 - 01/25/2021 12:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
674 Posts
Posted 01/25/2021   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Rod you are correct - I had forgotten. Germany overwhelms me a bit. I bought some kiloware a while back - cheap bulk and I have an enormous amount of German stamps, colonies, states, office abroad, - so many different overprints it can be hard to know where to start. I need to try that resource so I can further sort what I have "sorted". :) also admittedly I enjoy posting and engaging with the forum and family here - it makes the journey even more enjoyable.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,460Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05