Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 2115 Tagging Alternatives

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 3,506Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2941 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need some help confirming this is the wide tagging variety.

It appears to be 19mm wide and around 21.5mm tall. Since the stamp is 25mm tall and 23mm (tall version) would be very near edges, I think this help rules tall out. This sample measures about 21.5 to 22. The stamp is just under 23 mm. the narrow gutter is around 6mm so do not think it narrow (17mm) version.

Any other ways? PNC3 did not have an pics of tagging.

This was a quick pic with smartphone but clearly shows tagging.
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 05/20/2017 7:29 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, from that picture it is very hard to tell, but the dimensions of wide tagging on 2115 are: untagged vertical line 3mm wide approx.
On the narrow tagging the vertically untagged line is approximately 5 mm wide.
If your "gutter" is about 6 mm you have the narrow tagging.

Peter

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/20/2017 7:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely say it looks like wide tagging to me. And it is definitely NOT narrow (the band of untagged area is too narrow).
Have been wondering if there are any imperf pairs with wide & tall block tagging. Scott now lists 2115f (wide) and 2115g (narrow) ... but no wide & tall. Since it's more difficult to see the difference between 2115 (wide) and 2115b (wide & tall) than between 2115a and the other two varieties, I would not be surprised if there are imperf pairs identified as 2115f that really have wide & tall tagging.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLL, it is definitely not the wide tagging. As I stated above, the untagged area on the wide tagging is about 3mm in width. Angore said his stamp measures 6mm - mine measure a little over 5 mm. That is the narrow tagging.
The 3mm wide untagged area is just a bit wider than the perforations!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/20/2017 8:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2941 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My eyes are not calibrated. Ha! If you just look at the gutter it is through the centerine of each 2 and that measures around 3mm.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter ... if you measure the untagged area on the stamp (between the 2s), you'll come up with a gutter of 3 to 3.5mm, not 6mm. I think the OP was trying to say that it couldn't be narrow tagging because then the gutter would be 6mm.
... John ...
Hah! Angore corrected his gutter measurement as I was typing.
Edited by JLLebbert - 05/20/2017 8:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I apologize. I was going by the measurement that Angore was giving me, and I figured he knew how to measure. Just kidding of course. Anyway, let me give you the info here.
The wide block tagging ( 19mm ) is found on plate numbers 2, 4, 6, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 21, and were printed on the B press.
The narrow block tagging is found on plate numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 22, and were printed on the C press.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it interesting that 3 different presses were used to print these stamps. B press for 2115 (wide tagging), C press for 2115a (narrow) & D press for 2115b (wide & tall). While they used different plate numbers for the B & C presses, the D press plate numbers are a subset of the C press numbers. I do not know why they used C press numbers for the D press. Otherwise, one could id their plate number strips simply via the plate number & ignore checking the tagging. Except, of course, to check for "tagging omitted" errors.
I also noticed a recent eBay offering of 2115c (the ones with the T inscribed on the bottom) with tagging omitted. As I recall, these were printed on prephosphored paper ... so how is it possible to have a "tagging omitted" strip?
Edited by JLLebbert - 05/21/2017 3:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2941 Posts
Posted 05/21/2017   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a good question. An untagged stamp from B press would be an error too.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2514 Posts
Posted 05/21/2017   8:34 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not know why they used C press numbers for the D press.

The plates fit on either of those 2 presses, so it was merely a question of they used the D press when the C press was unavailable.

Quote:
I also noticed a recent eBay offering of 2115c (the ones with the T inscribed on the bottom) with tagging omitted. As I recall, these were printed on prephosphored paper ... so how is it possible to have a "tagging omitted" strip?

I am rather skeptical
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar set that I could use some help with. I think these are the 2115b, but I'd like some help from better-informed folks than myself. What do y'all think?

Edited by votehannibal - 06/02/2017 11:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2941 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the above is wide and tall, then my sample is definitely just wide.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
votehannibal, your strip has a clear "20" plate number. That alone makes it a narrow tagging strip.
And by the way, if you insist on measuring, you need to measure either the thickness of the untagged area or the width of the tagged area.
on your pictures above you measure both tagged and untagged areas.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/02/2017 1:37 pm
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522, I was measuring the width of the space between tagging. Horizontal distance comes out to about 3mm, vertical to about 2mm.

I found references and prices for "20" plate #s with supposed wide and tall tagging on several sites. For instance here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/HimesP...S5-Part1.htm

I see you posted plate numbers that have narrow and wide tagging - where do you get that info?
Edited by votehannibal - 06/02/2017 2:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All info for plate number coils is available from the website http://pnc3.org . Some of the info is not on the website, but available from the club for use by club members. I am pretty sure the wide and narrow info is available on the club's value list, also available from the above website.

Peter
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter4522, they say only 2115 hasn't been confirmed for "20". 2115b, wide and tall, D press, exists.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 3,506Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05