Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 2115 Tagging Alternatives

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 3,782Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 06/02/2017   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My to do list includes getting a scan of all of them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely wide & tall. According to my Scott, the plate numbers (8,12,20,22) for the D press (wide & tall tagging) are a subset of the plate numbers for the C press (narrow tagging). If 2115b with plate #20 has never been confirmed before, it has been now!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2721 Posts
Posted 06/03/2017   10:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If 2115b with plate #20 has never been confirmed before, it has been now!

You might want to get a new catalog - #20 for 2115b has been listed for years.
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 06/06/2017   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLLebbert, eyeonwall - whew! Thought I was going crazy there for a bit. :)

So, any idea what that thing is worth?.. This site says $75, for a plate strip of 6, i'm guessing, which I don't have - but I have a PNC3. Anyone else have similar numbers available?

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/HimesP...S5-Part1.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 06/06/2017   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2016 Scott, for plate #20, lists a PS3 at $40 and a PS5 at $65. Interestingly, the plate number values in ascending order are 18, 20, 22 & 8. So plate #20 is supposedly rarer than only one other (18). This, of course, ignores plate #2 which, while listed in Scott, is described as an anomaly that was actually printed on the C press rather than the D press.
Added: Note that all plate # prices for 2115b are listed in italic. So even Scott is uncertain of their accuracy.
Edited by JLLebbert - 06/06/2017 8:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 06/07/2017   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not place a lot of value in the actual prices. I think it is better to show view price as scarcity unless it is in high demand.
Al
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kelump to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What am I doing wrong? The width of the tagging on Scott 2115 should be greater than 17mm but I'm measuring it as 16mm?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since it measures only 16mm, this is clearly narrow block tagging. Don't be too concerned by it being less than the specified 17.5mm. This could simply be the result of worn tagging mats. Of course, if the 1.5mm difference were to prove consistent over many stamps, there could be a 4th tagging block size. Note that the difference between "wide" and "wide-and-tall" is only 1.5mm in the vertical dimension. But this is extremely unlikely for a 25-year old issue. Moreover, the differences in the tagging block sizes are directly related to the different presses (B for wide, C for narrow, D for wide-and-tall) used in the production of 2115.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kelump to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, JLLebbert!
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dwwjr56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A scan of all of these and detailed dimensions would be a great tool for these hard to id tagging variants. And something that shows all the tagging variants on Plate number coils would be great too!

I personally Love the prairie fire stagecoach stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Scott specialized U.S. catalogue does give the tagging block dimensions for each variety, albeit these are obviously not exact in all instances. In addition, the stamp smarter site has a fairly extensive database with multiple tagging examples of most tagged issues.
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2721 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   02:08 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Scott specialized U.S. catalogue does give the tagging block dimensions for each variety, albeit these are obviously not exact in all instances"
The blocks on the tagging mats can get worn and produce smaller and irregular shaped blocks, or sometimes they were overinked with taggant which produces oversized blocks.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 3,782Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05