Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spain Civil War Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Switzerland
70 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Zuerich4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear Stamp Community Family

Again I would like to know more about some stamps. Here are some stamps from Spain (issued during civil war, or right after). I think they are some kind of charity labels and not "real" stamps. The stamps are showing José Antonio Primo de Rivera, the founder of the Falangist Party of Spain (and son of the spanish Dictator Miguel Primo de Rivera), executed by republicans in 1936.

Does any expert know which organisation has issued these stamps / labels? When were they issued?
I have seen similar ones with inscription "sin Valor postal" (without postal value)

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards from Switzerland

André
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26634 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have them as "Political Vignettes"
There is a vast amount of material existing.
Issued around 1937
I am unable, as yet, to find out anything of them, in my Civil War Catalogue that is over an inch thick. (In Spanish)

Image not mine.
I have seen the 5c (type second from left) on a cover, dated February 15th, 1938

I just found this in my database,
Perhaps you can find in Edifil or Yvert Catalogues?
Good Luck
Please post back if you find information.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/24/2017 5:46 pm
Valued Member
Switzerland
70 Posts
Posted 05/25/2017   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuerich4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Rod222

The stamps with other pictures (10c green/30c red without overprint) of José Antonio Primo de Rivera were issued in the years 1936/37 by the Charitable Association of Post (Asociación Benéfica de Correos). The funds raised went to the Home School of the Orphans of the Post Office employees. The same stamps with overprint were issued 1938 (according my Edifil/Tomo III from 2002).

The last not so flattering portrait of the Spanish Generalissimo Francisco Franco was issued as charity label in favor of public food issues for the municipality of Fuente de Piedra (province of Málaga, Autonomous Region of Andalusia) in 1938 (according the fantastic Website of guerracivil.afinet.org).

Unfortunately, the edition I am looking for is neither listed in the Edifil catalog nor on this website.

Best regards

André
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26634 Posts
Posted 05/25/2017   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your time Andre.
Saved in my database.
Good luck with the others.

Pillar Of The Community
1947 Posts
Posted 05/25/2017   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, José Antonio Primo de Rivera was a nazi/fascist leader. Members of the party he founded "Falange Española", fought alongside Hitler's army in Russia. Their heirs, still rule "democratic" Spain.

The José Antonio stamps were issued by the Spanish government as "charity stamp" and its "voluntary" use was "advisable" well into the 50's if you wanted your money order or your parcel to reach its destination...

The Franco stamp, is a bogus issue.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26634 Posts
Posted 05/25/2017   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, Cursus.

Curious...is that exclamation marks, either side of "Arriba Espana" ?
Edited by rod222 - 05/25/2017 06:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
1947 Posts
Posted 05/25/2017   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Spanish, they use exclamation and interrogation marks at the begining and at the end, unlike most other languages (like English or Catalan).

The words "¡Arriba España!" (Up with Spain!) is the traditional fascist Spanish salute, like the infamous nazi "HH", and it's also shout rising the extended right arm on a fascist/nazi way.
Spanish fascism is not only widely tolerated, but very well regarded, by the party governing nowadays "democratic" Spain.
Edited by Cursus - 05/25/2017 07:16 am
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understood stamps such as this to be local issues, but am unable to find more identifying info online. Here's an interesting site, but it didn't give me enough info: https://www.colectalia.com/en/searc...bmit_search=
Pillar Of The Community
France
573 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not exactly a local issue.
Your stamp is part of a set of 5,listed as charity stamps in Yvert catalogue (# 31/5)
All of them exist with overprints.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05